The Game of Life and Cellular Automata

1 Conversation

Under Construction

The Game of Life was invented in xxxx by a mathematician, John Horton Conway, as an attempt to simulate bacterial life in a mathematical way. It takes place on an infinite grid of squares. Each square can be occupied by a cell or can be empty. The cells live, reproduce and die according to rules which Conway devised by much experiment:

  • 0, 1 neighbour - die of loneliness
  • 2 or 3 neighbours - just right
  • 4 or more neighbours - die of overcrowding
  • Empty cell with 3 neighbours - give birth

All births and deaths take place simultaneously, then there is a pause, then the next series of births take place.

This game is ideal for computerisation. Build a random construction and watch it evolve. Very quickly you will see stable patterns, patterns that flip backwards and forwards between two states indefinitely and gliders, which are patterns which move along keeping basically the same shape. A glider gun is a pattern that shoots out gliders but keeps itself stationary.

Some interesting patterns

The Block

The block is the same every generation. It doesn't change at all, unless a passing pattern interferes with it.

The Flipper

This flips back and forward between two states.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A656688

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more