A Conversation for the great nappy debate

Peer Review: A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 1

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Entry: the great nappy debate - A87826684
Author: minichessemous e - now with added toddler. - U8131912

I know this needs a bit of work and probably lots of spelling corrections but if it's in here I will get reminded to do something with it.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks for submitting this, mouse. It's information that is worth having in the Guide.

Don't too much about the spelling - the sub-editor can generally sort it out. There is one sentence, though, that needs attention - it's not clear what you meant to say. It is the one in the Elimination Communication paragraph with 'wiss wiss' in it. Can you please check the spelling of the words before this, as I can't figure out what you were trying to say.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 3

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

It should be "whilst cueing them"

I need a bit morw explanations in that section I think too. It's not something many people have heard of.

My 'smart' phone loves correcting my spelling.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 4

Bluebottle

I read that sentence as 'Elimination Communication requires parents and carers to be vigilant for these signs and to hold the baby over a suitable receptacle whilst 'cooing' them (making soothing 'wiss wiss wiss' or 'ka ka ka' noises etc)' Was this right?

<BB<


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 5

8584330

Hi Minismiley - cheesesmiley - mouse!

I don't quite get "preloaded market". Preloaded apps are already on the tablet or other electronic device. Preloaded diapers sounds yucky. Unless of course the baby comes with diapers already on, but doesn't seem likely.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 6

Bluebottle

I've just remembered - when our two were born, I kept getting leaflets in Bounty bags etc that said 'many laundrettes are happy to wash and return dirty re-usable nappies for you'. Never seen one that actually did – do they really exist?

<BB<


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I seem to recall, perhaps a few years ago, and perhaps a government, or local council, or 'health authority' incentive, type thing, that there were schemes set up which took away the used terry cloth style nappys; giving you a fresh, clean replacement batch, and then washed etc the ones they had taken away... kinda like a 'nappy rental' scheme (like waht half the hotels now, seem to do with their bedding and towels, using a outsourced company) smiley - erm Of course... I may have misremembered this... smiley - 2cents


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 8

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

I think that was supposed to be Preloved HN. They have been used but are clean. Most sellers ate truthful about stains and other faults.

I've never come across a laundrette that will launder cloth nappies (mind I just wash ours at home) but 2 legs is right that there are some areas where nappy laundry services exsist.

With EC what you do is ly your small baby on a towel or something absorbent witon. You watch them like a hawk and when they owe you pick a noise such as wisss wiss and make that noise every time they owe for a few days so they make an association between Peeing and the noise then you move on to holding them over a potty or the toilet (or whatever) every hour or so and making the Cue mouse.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 9

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

okay finally escaped the toddler and fixed a few errors on my laptop and added to the entry.

There is a LOT more i could say about cloth nappies, but i think they probably deserve their own entry!

Likewise with EC (which i sort of do, but only for poo with R)


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 10

minorvogonpoet

This could be very useful for new parents. smiley - smiley

I must admit, I hadn't heard of the 'preloved' market, and you might need to explain the term.

It might be worth mentioning the debate over whether the cost of washing nappies reduces the price advantage of reuseable ones.

You say elimination communication isn't common in the west, but women of an older generation swore by putting their babies on potties at regular intervals as soon as they could sit, thus starting toilet training much earlier than is now common.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 11

8584330

Sorry, smiley - mouse I blame 2legs, I thought he taught me how to read better than that. smiley - winkeyesmiley - winekey Yes, I take back everything I said. Because pre-loaded and pre-loved are clearly different when it comes to diapers or nappies or whatever they are. (Curse you, Auto-correct!)


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

No need to apologise, HN. It did say 'preloaded'. As a result of your comment, Mini corrected it.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 13

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Just a quick note to say that I am coming back to this. It's just that my toddler has a sickness bug.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 14

Leo

Can you describe the use and cleaning/disposal for each method? I'm only vaguely clear on how one gets cloth nappies cleaned, and I've always wondered. It sounds kinda disgusting.

Maybe this is a subeditor thing, but it would be easier if the entry were organized with a heading for each method, and then some topics covered for each: what it is, how it works, purchase/use/disposal thereof, pros and cons.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 15

minorvogonpoet

Mini,
I hope your toddler is better. Are you coming back to this?


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 16

Phoenician Trader

Cool material. I must admit I have looked into the eyes of a 3 month baby before and while she was urinating and they didn't even flicker at me. I think EC might be tougher than people make it sound - requiring ESP as well as good observational skills (and way too much time on hand).

smiley - lighthouse


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 17

Bluebottle

Are you still planning to add to this, mini?

<BB<


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 18

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Sorry folks I managed to drown my phone earlier in the year, and then found out that we are expecting another little arrival.

I do want to finish this at some point. But understand if you want to move it to make room in PR.


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 19

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I have just been reading through this again and have a few comments;

>Disposable nappies cone in a range of sizes
cone should be come

>making use of sales and the preloved market

'preloved' should have a footnote to explain they are used, and are offered for resale as the family no longer needs them.

>over a suitable receptacle whilst 'cueing' them ( wiss wiss wiss or ka ka ka etc) whilst being potentially time consuming

the second 'whilst' should be changed to while, just to keep from repeating the same word so soon.

>Every family will fund a different solution dome may even take aspects from all three optipbs.
'fund' = find smiley - popcorn Dome = Some smiley - popcorn optipbs should almost certainly be options.

Although it might be interesting to give cleaning details for each type of smiley - erm waste control I am not sure this is necessary for this entry.

It would be good to get this on the FP before Mini's next deliverysmiley - ok

F smiley - dolphin S


A87826684 - the great nappy debate

Post 20

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - boing
Any chance of finding a little time to get back to thissmiley - smiley?

smiley - cupidsmiley - love

F smiley - dolphin S


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more