the great nappy debate

1 Conversation

So you are expecting a new family member to arrive and are wondering about toilet arrangements for the little one.

You have 3 main options. Cloth nappies. Disposable nappies or Elimination communication. There are pro's and cons of all options and each family will find the solution that works best for them.

Disposable nappies cone in a range of sizes from teeny preemie to large toddler and even bigger for use overnight or for special needs individuals. They usually come in one piece and are filled with absorbent crystals that turn to gel when wet.These always feel dry to the skin and some think that this is causing the age of toilet training to increase in recent years. There are many chemicals used in their manufacture and at a typical cost of 10-20p per nappy they can add up over the typical 2-3 years your child.will need them for. 

Cloth nappies may have most people thinking of Terry towelling squares, nappy pins and plastic pants. However the last 10 year's has seen a huge leap forward in cloth nappies with Velcro or popper fastenings, quick drying microfibre and absorbent bamboo and breathable fabrics such as fleece and wool being used some cloth nappies are no harder to use than disposables. They do need washed and dried but some local councils offer this service at a discounted cost to encourage the use of cloth nappies. They can seem expensive initially but making use of sales and the preloved market they can work out much cheaper than disposables over 2-3 years. They are also much better for the environment.

Elimination communication is fairly uncommon in the western world but widely practiced in Africa and Asia. All babies will show signs of needing to empty their bowels or bladder.EC requires parents and carers to be vigilant for these signs and to hold the baby over a suitable receptacle whilst 'cueing' them ( wiss wiss wiss or ka ka ka etc) whilst being potentially time consuming it has the advantage of fewer dirty nappies to wash or dispose of. It can take a few days to master the art but some people using this method never use nappies. Others do it part time or just once per day using nappies the rest of the time. 

Every family will fund a different solution dome may even take aspects from all three optipbs.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87826684

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more