Unusual Sports: Answers

0 Conversations

It's time to keep score: how much did you know?

Unusual Sports: Answers

Award yourself a medal if you knew these sport factoids.

A pair of hands trying to grab a fish

  1. Which of these items is not needed for a game of buzkashi?

    A ball. The object of all the riding and wrestling in this national sport of Afghanistan is the carcass of a calf or goat. The sport may have originated from the custom of hunting wild goats in the rugged mountains. Read more here.
  2. Which unusual sport can you watch in India?

    Elephant polo.Watch and wonder at this exciting sport.
  3. In catfish noodling, what kind of bait is used?

    Human fingers.   Catfish noodling, also known as 'hillbilly handfishing', is very popular in the southern US. We recommend that you watch out for water moccasins. Yes, there are videos
  4. What form of cheese is used for the annual cheese rolling competition at Cooper's Hill?

    Double Gloucester. That was a gimme for British players. Cooper's Hill in Gloucestershire has been competitively rolling Double Gloucester cheeses for two hundred years.
  5. What is 'jeu de paume' when it's at home?

    Real Tennis. It's the original form of tennis, played by hand and indoors.
  6. In the Finnish sport of eukonkanto, what is carried by the participants?

    A wife. It doesn't have to be your wife. Or even a married lady. But what you're toting must be female in these competitions, which include sprinting, dancing, and karaoke. Get your entrance forms here.
  7. What fast-growing sport has been called 'intellectual fight club'?

    Chess boxing. Yep. You heard it here – and from Time. Boxing rounds interspersed with chess matches. According to Time, 'The winner is determined by knockout, checkmate, or referee decision.' Who knew?
  8. What water sport's premier event is held in Wales, although it is also popular in Ireland?

    Bog snorkeling. According to one source, 'wet suits are optional but advisable.' Llanwrtyd Wells is the home of this unusual sport.
  9. Which event was not featured at the 2010 University of Idaho Ag Olympics?

    Wrestling with chickens. 'Ag' stands for 'agriculture'. They claim nobody got sick from eating meal worms and crickets in molasses.
  10. What part of the anatomy is used for wrestling in Wetton, Derbyshire?

    Toes. The annual competition apparently got started in a pub (where else?), where the discussion turned to a sport the British could win. No comment. Really. No comment.

If you have enjoyed this quiz, try it on your friends. Suggest they start a chess-boxing league. It will make a change from the book club.

Viv Stanshall of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

23.07.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87765295

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more