A Conversation for Jiu Jitsu

Ju jitsu

Post 1

Stu The Gnu

I studied Jitsu for about five years and enjoyed it immensely, it is a superb martial art for self defense. It's a combination of Judo, Karate and Aikido.

Many clubs concentrate on different aspects of the art some prefer the judo style ground work (Brazilian)or concentrate on the throws and locks whilst some others stick to the Karate side of it, but they all incorporate some of the other aspects.

The source of Ju-jitsu can be found in feudal Japan it was a system of self defence for the Samurai if they should find themselves without a weapon on the battle field or if they were in a situation where drawing a sword would be impractical or unlawful (in the presence of their lord).

I've also studied Kung Fu and many of the throws and locks in Ju Jitsu are in the Kung Fu forms, so to my thinking it originally comes from the Kung Fu of China.

Ju jitsu was banned at the end of the 18th Century but Jigoru Kano took out most of the really nasty bits, left the throws and locks and called it Judo.

The Ju Jitsu we see today is very watered down and fairly safe to practice, although myself and a few friends spend hours working out really nasty combinations, locks, throws, strangles and chokes. Along with all the punching and kicking that goes with it.

If you're looking for a good self defence system Ju Jitsu is definitley the best. As long as you find a good club and teacher.


Ju jitsu

Post 2

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

I'm currently in the process of writing an entry on Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu if either of you would like to contribute anything...smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jiu Jitsu

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more