The h2g2 Post 11.03.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 11th March 2024

This week's title is From the Sublime to the Ridiculous. Illustrated clockwise from upper left: A glorious sunrise from behind a medieval building, green shoots against a blue sky (full height of image), a bird in flight with jet contrails in the sky, a dead fly curled up, a misaligned manhole cover, a brick wall with madly uneven bricks breaking up the pattern, the shoots again, blue and yellow crocuses, and a dappled Dutch landscape on the opposite side from the rainbow.

In the previous week, several unusual though predictable things happened. Your Editor got older, if that's even possible, and will soon be in the Slartibartfast demographic, while the weather in Pennsylvania actually improved. As I write this we are nearing 20° Celsius. Spring is here.

On another part of the globe, our Willem has been exploring. He's the Indiana Jones of the plant world. This week you get to read about the team's discovery of the Sekhukhune Thorn. Please enjoy his account of all the fascinating flora they found.

Natural beauty abounds: sunrises, birds in flight, vistas, spring flowers. And then there are the 'pics from hell': flooding, a dead bug, egregiously misplaced masonry. The world in all its variety spread before you.

Awix reviews the latest movie with sand in it. In case you can't tell from the punny title, he liked it. (Most of Awix's review titles contain puns, so it's no indicator.) If you like high-production-quality space intrigue, don't miss this one.

We've got fiction: our stories are on the move. Romance is in the air in Bluebottle's graphic whatever-it-is. There's humour and fun. Check it all out.

Another wonderful thing that happened this week was the arrival in my personal mailbox of a new book: my copy of A Crime Has Been Committed. I've been eager to get my copy of this omnibus edition by SashaQ, Tavaron, and Caiman. They've produced a handsomely illustrated volume. Click on the image below on this page for details on how you can order your own copy. It makes a nice gift for SFF fans who appreciate a humorous touch.

Now: you know there are sublime things and ridiculous things going on all around you. Get out there and get me some pictures, video, and true-life observations! That's an order. And have a wonderful week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.Cover for A Crime Has Been Committed, the latest omnibus book, available from Lulu.
Buy for yourself or
HooToo Fiction:
give as a gift!
(Click the pic.)
Best in the Galaxy!
(Click the pic.)


Quote of the Week: In London a letter properly directed, and with the initial letters of the district, should be delivered within a period of from 2 to 4 hours after their reception in a letterbox. There are 12 deliveries daily in the EC district, and from 6 to 11 in the others.

Girls' Own Paper

A caveman outside his cave.


March 2024 Create Challenge:
Where I Live


Video Extra:
Luna Goes Crazy for Ice
Click here in Ripley


VISTAS
Quest for the
Sekhukhune Thorn

View of Sekhukhune by Willem.

MENTAL HORIZONS

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 7
O tempora, o mores

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

SPRINGTIME SPRINGETH



First Leaves
Early shoots by Tavaron.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
  • Video
  • Cats, ducklings, and chicks.

PICS FROM HELL


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88045392

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more