The h2g2 Post 05.02.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 5th February 2024

This week's title is Sight and Sound. Clockwise from upper left: A retro 50s cafe with a jukebox, a snowy scene reflected in a large picture window, the moon and Jupiter by night, a woodpigeon on a snowy roof, a lighthouse on a beach, a great tit on the rim of a snow-covered bucket, and a juvenile cardinal in a snowy bush.

It's cold. There is intermittent snow. But hey, there are birds. Also stories to read and enjoy. Cheer up, h2g2! Life has loveliness to sell, as Sara Teasdale reminded us.

What have you seen? Remember to share it with the rest of us. Just point your phone and dump the results in an email.

This week, our topic (besides birds) is snow. White flakes fell on practically everybody. Not Willem: he's been out and about and promises reports in the near future. In the meantime, have an owl. But the snow! Snow in England, snow in Scotland, snow in Pennsylvania, which isn't new. Enjoy the views.

STOP PRESS NEWS!!!

Punxsutawney Phil did NOT see his shadow. Spring will be early this year. (From your furry face to the snow god's ear, Phil.)
Groundhog at the Post Office
People of Punxsutawney: It's safe to come out now. The tourists have gone.


Read the stories: you'll laugh. You'll worry. You'll be amazed. You'll be scared and puzzled and possibly enlightened. You won't be bored. Learn about sculling and space colonisation. Read about Jack the Ripper and find out where Nebraska isn't. And see what else I've managed to do to delay my story. (I'm a dilatory narrator.)

February is here. It won't stay long. Tell us about your snow thoughts. Get a chuckle out of our humour. Read about an uplifting movie. Have a good week and don't forget your scarf and gloves.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Conversation of the Week. 'Astrid, go brush your teeth now.'

'You are a toothbrush yourself!'


Tavaron
A cross-country skier in a snow-covered landscape.


February 2024 Post Challenge:
The Unbearable Whiteness
of Snow


Video Extra:
Cardinal
Click here in Ripley


JUST BIRDS
Car Park Starling

Starling in a car park, by SashaQ.

THINKING ABOUT IT

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 2
They Call the Wind Euros,
But Not Often

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

SNOW STORIES



Outside-In
Outside reflection in the window brings the snow indoors. By Paigetheoracle.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
LOOK UP, LOOK DOWN, LOOK ALL AROUND


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88041440

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more