The h2g2 Post 28.09.20

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 28th September 2020

Bridges in Space/Time

A bridge over the Allegheny River, by DG.

Early fall is magic. A couple of weeks ago, a group of us were sitting under the trees in the park by the river. Beauty and quiet. A loud bird call pierced the silence. I listened intently, trying to figure out what it was.

'What is that?' I asked my brother-in-law.

He cocked his head, then said, with a slow grin, 'It's a….bird.' That's birdwatching in western Pennsylvania for you.

Talk turned to why we couldn't take Lola, the five-pound Shorkie, into the state park.

'The rangers tell everybody to leave their dogs at home while camping,' said the Hoggetts. 'The bears develop a taste for them. When you leave them on a leash, the bears think it's just convenience food.' Apparently, one was snatched right in front of the office over at Macbeth Cabins. Nature: beautiful, but sometimes dangerous.

We've got a lot of nature for you this week. And other things. You'll be surprised. But this issue is safe for your domestic pets. It's all virtual.
Bridge by DG.
  • First, we have a new Create Challenge for October: How to Be a Good Ancestor. We've been talking about that. What kind of world are we making for the children of the future? How can we do better? What would we like them to say about us if they were confronted, god forbid, with a statue of us? Would that statue show us wantonly calling into existence a hapless pot of petunias? Discuss.
  • There is nature in all its glory. Birds, friendly critters who don't eat dogs. Backyard produce. (Those are tomatoes, FWR wishes to point out. Not peppers or apples. Tomatoes.)
  • Odd sightings of signs from around the planet. Yep, we've checked: it's still a weird place.
  • New fiction! B4 is back with a story. It starts today, and goes on in installments for about 17 weeks. It's called 'Into You'. That's all we're going to say about it. Be sure to read it.
  • Songwriting! There has been an epidemic – no, not that one – of songwriting around here. Having discovered that the Post Editor has keyboards and blank score paper and, apparently, an abundance of free time, various Contributors have wafted their song lyrics my way with instructions to 'write a hit'. I don't think you'll see us at the Grammies anytime soon, but after the rousing success of '15 Kittehs in an Ol' Dodge Neon', there's no stopping the creativity. This week sees the premiere of two hits in spe: FWR's plaintive Covid-19-themed country ballad entitled 'The Siding of the My Life', and Professor Animal Chaos' alt-metal anthem 'Sing a Song of Nonsense'. The video to that one may require medication. Please let these lyricists know how much you appreciate them. It is appropriate to throw tomatoes, but not peppers or apples.
  • We have other features: cinema, deep thinking, humour, ongoing graphic stories, art photography, and more. We leave you to explore.

Please be thinking about this ancestor question. Robbie Stamp really wants to know. I'll be back next week with some early news on how to get ready for the November Challenge, which will put the writers to work. In the meantime, have a great week!


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: I often think of monuments as time capsules that explode on us at critical junctures in our history.

– Patrizia Costa (talking about Pittsburgh's Columbus statue)

Create October 2020 by Freewayriding
October Create Challenge:
How to Be a Good Ancestor



Fall Flocking Sparrows


NATURE IN SIGHT
Eastern Ghaap

Hoodia Flowers by Willem.

NATURAL INSIGHT

UNUSUAL SIGHTINGS

It's a Sign

Kick the Door by Paigetheoracle.


h2g2 SONGSHEET




Zebra Finch Update
Baby zebra finch, by Tavaron.
SIGHTS'N'SOUNDS
Story Time


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87996947

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more