Land of Soap and Glory

1 Conversation

Land of Soap and Glory: A Tourist Adventure, as Told to Suzie Q Ferguson

The Hotel That Soap Moved by Freewayriding

My wife and I went for a belated celebratory meal last night, nineteenth wedding anniversary, very nice, too.

Grade two listed five-star Victorian timbered hotel, lovely grounds, great food and a beautiful dining room complete with pianist.

The building, (and this is the interesting bit, Suzy Q), it was built in 1891 by one of Wirral's soap magnates, but sold to another soap whizz kid some thirty years later.

Nothing too interesting in posh estates being flogged between bubbly tycoons back then, but the new owner decided he loved the hall but preferred a different location.

So, being so soapily loaded, he had the entire stately home dismantled brick by brick, timber by timber, and relocated some whole four miles up the road and rebuilt on his new bit of land!

Where there's muck there's brass, as they say!

Freewayriding Archive

Freewayriding

24.12.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87925701

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more