Rod's Ramblings: Other Perspectives

1 Conversation

Rod's all packed and ready to go, but still has time for a story

This morning I was feeling a bit low.

You know, shipping container out front with all my furniture & belongings in it, except for a chest of drawers and a bedside cabinet in the garage.

Great big four-bedroom house, empty except for the carpets and except for the curtain rails and curtains that I've just put back after a couple of weeks' visitations by the EarthQuakeRecovery people - minor repairs, filling, smoothing, painting... a virtually new house virtually empty except for little me.

Poor old Rod. Are you feeling sorry for him? Just a teeny little bit sympathetic, maybe?

The last job to be done is nearly done – fill, smooth & paint the triangular fascia above the two garages (well, the outer one is my workshop).

I leave the front door unlocked, so the men can use the bathroom and I met one of them in the hall.

He asked about my being on my little own in this big place and got the (edited) story of No1 Son & Ms Stress dying 11 days apart... still feeling sympathy? Ah, that's the way...

This morning I was feeling a bit low.
At the moment I'm numb. I don't feel anything except that I must send this in:

I don't know where he went, how he survived, how he got here, how he ended up as a tradesman filler/painter – and I won't be asking.
He doesn't know where the others went or what happened to them.
He's from Cambodia. He was the youngest of twelve children and he was four years old at the time that they were out and...

His mother stepped on a landmine.

Articles by Rod

Rod

22.12.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87845322

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more