One Man's Woodcraft Special: J's Carvings

1 Conversation

Rod shares some very old carvings he didn’t create himself

These bookends, in Maori style design, look as though they're made in Kauri wood. The other piece looks to be in Rimu wood and both have paua (abalone shell) inserts. Though I'm not sure that they are of those woods, those were and often are the first choice of carvers... if they can be obtained nowadays, as they're protected species.

Have you ever wondered how it is that old or even ancient artifacts are lost to us? Yes, you're probably right and I have here some minor direct evidence of that. The thought occurs that, on a larger scale, this kind of thing must have been quite common in years gone by (particularly relevant to large, upper class, houses through neither recognising nor caring that others may be interested in their old stuff).

A friend of ours visited today, bringing with her this pair of bookends and the three dimensional piece. They were made by her deceased husband's grandfather and that would have been at least 100 years ago. The bookends are nicely made but not otherwise particularly interesting. However, she said that the larger, 3D, carving is from a single piece of wood and, having inspected it closely, I believe her (and those bits hanging under the roof corners are free to move). Her grandfather was a chippie in the building trade.

Unfortunately the piece is split in a few places, due to drying out over the years through not being kept in suitable conditions and, though nicely made, is not of museum quality. I won't attempt to restore it at this stage – and wouldn't, anyway, whatever its quality.

She said she didn't have houseroom for it and I am to keep it or throw it, as she'd brought it along simply for my interest.

I have the interest but we don't have houseroom either - nevertheless I'll keep the pieces for a while, to give you a chance to bid for them... yes? - 50/50, her and a children's charity... No? Oh, OK then.

Articles by Rod

Rod

09.06.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87830814

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more