The h2g2 Post 04.02.13

2 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 4th February 2013

All the Old Wisdom

A groundhog, or woodchuck, or Grundsau.

Don't make faces like that! You'll get stuck, and then you'll be sorry.   – Everybody's Mother.

We don't live in a cultural vacuum. (We know this, because we are still breathing.) We rely for our knowledge on the wisdom of those who went before. We see so far because we stand on the shoulders of giants. Hopefully, these giants don't yell, 'Hey, ouch! Gerroff!'

This week's Post honours ancient wisdom. Aren't you glad that, no matter how bad Global Warming gets, we still have the ground hog to predict the weather? Punxsutawney Phil is watching our backs, folks. And his shadow. Which he didn't see, so yay, spring is coming. Believe it. We have a quiz, so that you can test your knowledge of metereological events. You UK folk have a leg up here, as you are experienced in the deep subject of discussing weather. The rest of us will try to keep up.

Speaking of old wisdom, it's time for you to do your part to pass some on: Create's February Challenge is here, and you WILL take it on. We mean it. Rummage through your personal albums and find an old family photo you'd be willing to share. Send a digital copy to us along with whatever you are inspired to write about it – prose, poetry, fact, fiction, whatever you come up with. To get the ball rolling, there's a baby picture of my Dad in this issue, with a poem what I wrote about the day the picture was taken.

The h2g2 Post would not be the world-shaking success it is without the help of its contributors and coworkers. I'm always thanking you writers, so this time, I'd like to give a shout-out to our hard-working and patient Staff:

Thanks to:
  • Beatrice the All-Seeing, genius of find-and-replace, who is gonna kill Bluebottle if he does that again,
  • Magwitch the Magnificent, who hides under the sofa from red text in the parser, but then bravely grabs her mobile,
  • BMT, unofficial Assistant Editor telephone support, who is on speed-dial,
  • Asteroid Lil, who someday will have a better internet connection.


We love you all.

Read, enjoy, send Stuff. And don't fall into the creek.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

THINGS ARE SELDOM WHAT THEY SEEM

RED SKY AT MORNING


 
  • Impala Lily

PAYING DEBTS TO NATURE


 

 
TOO MANY COOKS
FOOLS' NAMES AND FOOLS' FACES
  • .


 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87780027

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more