Weird Factoids from the Edited Guide: Answers

0 Conversations

Here they are, the weirdest factoids we could find. Get 'em while they're hot.

Weird Factoids from the Edited Guide: Answers

Here they are. We did the research, and added links.

Actors Philip Glenister and John Simm, stars of the TV series Life on Mars.

  1. What is Canadian Esther Cox famous for?
    Having a poltergeist. Read The Haunting of Esther Cox.
  2. What is a fish spa?
    A place where fish eat the dead skin from your feet. Beatrice has done it. Check out Fish Spas.
  3. Speaking of fish: what horrible fate oft befalls the red snapper?
    A nasty parasite replaces its tongue. Alas, yes. KB has the dope on Cymothoa exigua – The Tongue-Eating Louse.
  4. What is asatru?
    A religion. If you want to get up close and pagan, read WebWitch's An Introduction to Asatru – a Teutonic Tradition.
  5. Whose last words involved French Canadian Bean Soup?
    Dutch Schultz's. Get the skinny on the gangster's demise in The Ironic Death of Arthur Flegenheimer.
  6. According to Roma tradition, what happens to pumpkins that are touched by the full moon?
    They turn into vampire squash. If you don't believe us, read Malabarista's Dracula's Ancestors – Vampires Without the Dinner Jackets.
  7. What advice do experienced hikers give about relieving yourself in the woods?
    Always pee downwind. That's the consensus in the group-authored Tips for Camping in the Wild. You see? You can't get advice like that just anywhere.
  8. Why didn't Victorians like 'Londonderry Air'?
    They thought the title sounded naughty. See, it sounded like 'London Derrière'. You can't make these things up, but Farlander told us about it in The Legend and History of the Song 'Danny Boy'
  9. What is a gibbet?
    Where you could find Spence Broughton for a long time. They know all about hanging highwaymen in Sheffield, and Pinniped wrote about it in Spence Broughton – a Famous Corpse.
  10. What does the Edited Guide recommend you 'microwavify'?
    Your Westphalian cheese sandwich. The Edited Guide is full of great advice like that. See it in frleon's magnificently entertaining The Art of Westphalian Cheese Toasting.

Didn't see your favourite conundrum from the weird Edited Guide in here? Write the Editor secretly, to see it show up in a future Quiz. Or add your own multiple choice question at the foot of this entry.

Haven't submitted anything to the Edited Guide lately? For shame – get writing! We depend on you to keep it weird.

T Rex bones in the Museum of Natural History, New York
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.11.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87777085

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more