A Conversation for Great Outdoor Markets

Eastern Market, Washington DC

Post 1

Cathain (Star-Namer & Italian Cook)


Built in 1873 and designed by architect Adolf Cluss, Eastern Market is the last of Washington's 19th century markets to remain in continuous operation. It features farmer's goods from local Virginia and Maryland farms, jewlery and artwork by local artisans, and a long hall of meat, fish, and dairy sellers, as well as a bakery and enormously popular lunch counter (if the lines are anything to go by).
Across the street is a medium-sized flea market, with the usual assortment of furniture, jewlery, kitchenware, and assorted odds and ends.

South Hall - the butchers, baker, flowershop, produce, and "market lunch" counter is open Tuesday-Sunday, with prices much the same, if not lower than the supermarkets. The open-air farmers' stands and flea market is only open on the weekends.

The surrounding neighborhood that bears the same name is mostly artisan shops, little cafes, and brightly-painted row homes. It has its own Metro (subway) stop, and is only a few blocks away from the Smithsonians and other downtown attractions.

http://www.easternmarket.net/


Key: Complain about this post

Eastern Market, Washington DC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more