A Conversation for Great Outdoor Markets

Ingleston Sunday Market

Post 1

SisterBluebird

I know its not quite the same these days (partly due to a car boot sale running alongside it) but this used to be a fantastic market.

In the 1970s and throughout the 1980s this was the place to go to buy anything and boy was the stuff cheap!!! It was great for Christmas shopping - although it was always freezing. The fast food stalls did a roaring trade. A local favourite was chips and curry sauce to heat you up smiley - steam.

All the lanes for the stalls had funny street names smiley - biggrin(Tin Pan Alley, Rotten Row ... that kind of thing). At the very centre of the market was a huge statue of King Kong. Because the market was so big, this served as a meeting point and landmark.

Its years since I've been there, but one other thing I do remember was this. The ground was covered in some strange red clay - and if there was any rain this stuff seemed to get everywhere smiley - sadface.

Ahh the joys of Ingleston Sunday Market!!! I must go back sometime. smiley - bluebutterfly


Ingleston Sunday Market

Post 2

Researcher 202555

Hi there,

My name is Linda and I live in Dublin - I am currently researching an article for The Slate magasine in Dublin about the market and second hand clothes shop scene in Dublin - which basically is pretty crap. As a comparison, I am trying to research the scene in Edingburgh - the number, size and frequency of outdoor/indoor markets in Edingburgh which sell second hand clothes. If there is anyone out there who can give me some information or suggest some websites to check out, I would really appreciate it.

My e-mail address is [email protected]


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more