A Conversation for An Amazing A-Z of Space

The Big Crunch

Post 1

The Vampyr

The greybeards such as Prof. Stephen Hawkins (who doesn't actually have a beard but if he did, it would be grey) have discovered that as it expands, the Universe is accelerating so gravity has a weaker and weaker hold between objects as time goes on. This means a long, slow death for everything, no Big Crunch and the aliens will never get to hear the spice girls as they're travelling away from them faster than the signals are going out. Bet you wish we were travelling faster than spice! Vampgone!.........


The Big Crunch

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Not with a bang but with a whimper ...


The Big Crunch

Post 3

Stephanie: who is for once in her life blissfully happy and content

I only wish we were travelling faster than the spice girls.


The Big Crunch

Post 4

Peter Cullen

Surely radio signals travel through a vacum at the speed of light? The galaxies can't be moving away from us at the speed of light, so that means the radio signals will eventually catch up with them even if said galaxies increase in speed over time.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more