A Conversation for Buses in the UK

Another reason for "exact fare only"...

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

"Exact fare only" buses were introduced to reduce the incidence of driver muggings! In the days when the driver had to carry a small leather bag with the fare money and change, they were a ripe target for thugs and neer-do-wells; "exact fare only" buses have a chute which takes the fare money into a small safe that the driver doesn't have a key for, thus making mugging them a pointless exercise.


Another reason for "exact fare only"...

Post 2

Anglais Patriotique

Unless, of course, you really hate bus drivers.


Another reason for "exact fare only"...

Post 3

Bluebottle

I went up to Coventry and was surprised to see the Exact Fare buses - it really threw me as all buses on the Isle of Wight and Southampton are normal buses where you give the driver a tenner, he scowls at you, and then gives you the change.
I thought it was because they didn't trust the drivers...

<BB<


Another reason for "exact fare only"...

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

That too... smiley - smiley


Another reason for "exact fare only"...

Post 5

Superplonker

Never give your fare in copper coins. The driver gets nasty, well at me he did. He said he didn't have any space to put them.

I had to go and get them changed for silver coins.


Key: Complain about this post