Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips: A Calming Remedy

0 Conversations

A banner for Nigel's Gardening column

The Ideal Calming Remedy

Christmas can be a stressful time, the preparation and buying of presents and essentials, waiting in long queues in shops and supermarkets is enough to tip the calmest person over the edge. I suffer from extreme anxiety and one certain plant produces a fragrance that helps to calms me down and ease my tense body.

Lavender is the one! A couple of years ago I started to attend a relaxation class and lavender oils were used in the room. I felt it really calmed me down after the stress of getting there. We still use it to this day in the class, and I use it at home as well as growing my own lavender plants. It has many other herbal uses and there are various ways of using it, which I will discuss later in my article.

The botanical name of lavender is Lavandula. The common one is angustifolia, there are over 200 varieties!

The way many people grow lavender is in borders or shrubberies. You can grow them in pots, which is a good idea if your soil is heavy clay. Although they do grow in badly drained soils, they will not really do their best and soon become woody and lifeless. The ideal position in the garden is a well drained alkaline soil in full sun. To ensure they do their best, mix in some course grit and organic matter before planting.

Some lavender species are not fully hardy and unless you have a sheltered garden I would recommend growing these particular ones in a largish pot. You can then move them to a sheltered position during winter, such as a cold frame or greenhouse. They need a pot 12-16 inches (30-40 cm) diameter – if you decide on a terracotta one then bear in mind that they may have to be moved for shelter during winter. You can buy
equipment for moving pots or even pot stands on
wheels which is ideal if you have a dodgy back like mine!

The best compost to use is a loam-based one, such as John Innes No 3. I always recommend putting broken crock or a layer of grit at the bottom of the pot for drainage purposes. Mix some coarse grit and controlled release fertiliser granules with the compost to provide extra nutrients and drainage for the lavender plant. Always water after planting, and before if the plant is very dry in its original pot.

Care and Maintenance

Ideally, lavender should be pruned and tidied up either in spring or late summer. If you prune in late summer then make sure flowering has finished. Pruning is important, otherwise the plant will go very woody and look scruffy. The only remedy then would be to replace the neglected plant.

Use a sharp pair of secateurs. Remove dead flower stems and then approximately one inch (2.5 cm) of the current year's growth. Do not cut into any woody stems, and leave a small amount of foliage. Pruning should only be done on mature plants, those under 12 months old should be tidied up, removing any dead flower stems and leaves.

During warm, dry weather it is best if you check to see if the plants need watering every couple of days if they are in the ground, and every day if they are in pots. The ones in pots would not need feeding if you mixed the fertiliser granules in the compost when planting, but any planted in the ground will benefit from a feed during the summer. There is a good range of fertilisers available.

Propagation Techniques

The best way of producing more lavender plants is to take cuttings. This is best done in late summer by taking semi-ripe cuttings. Choose a healthy stem with small gaps between each set of leaves. The bottom of the shoot should be firm while the tip remains soft. This should be available to take from the plant late summer to mid autumn.

Use a pair of sharp secateurs and place immediately in a plastic bag in a cool shady area. The cutting needs to be about 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) long after the lower leaves and tips are removed. As a rough guide, there should be about four leaves left once you have cut below a leaf node with a sharp knife.

To aid with rooting, use fresh hormone rooting power, dipping the end in before potting on into largish cell trays or small pots. You need to use a suitable compost such as John Innes Seed and Cutting compost which has all of the essential nutrients to give them the best possible start. I do like to add course grit to my compost, especially with lavender cuttings, as good drainage is so important.

Do not plant any deeper than the first set of leaves, watering in after planting. If the weather is very warm then they must be kept in a cool shady place. I made this mistake once and a day of hard work had gone to waste as my cuttings had shrivelled up and died because the greenhouse was too hot. A few years ago this might not have been an issue, but the climate has gone crazy!

During the winter months, the cuttings need to be kept in a cold frame or greenhouse. After about a week of being in a cool position they should be able to cope with moderate heat. Check for dryness on a regular basis, keeping the compost damp but not wet.

Another alternative is to grow them from seed. The best time is February to April according to variety. Some lavender seeds have to be chilled in a fridge for about 3 weeks before sowing. I had a growing kit bought as a Christmas present last year. They were slow to come through, but my 10 plants are now growing well and filling the greenhouse with their relaxing fragrance.

Be sure to follow the instructions on the seed packet before sowing, as many varieties have different needs.

Using Lavender In Herbal Properties

Next year I am going to use my own dried lavender, I was taught the best way to prepare and dry it from a course I went on from work. Many of you know the way to do this but I will share what I learnt:

  • When cutting the mature lavender flowers, it is best if you get the longest stems and cut them just above the leaves. There is no rule to the amount per bundle, I would aim for approximately 10 if possible.
  • Tie each stem carefully at the bottom end with string. You can do this individually or by using a long piece and carefully wrapping it around each stem, leaving ¾ inch (2 cm) between each one. This method is to allow each stem to breathe which should avoid mould problems. However, you must be gentle and not tie the string too tightly as this could crush the stem.
  • Put them all together and carefully wrap the string around to form a bundle. Tie the string to form a loop like when you tie up your shoe laces.
  • Hang the bundle from the roof in a dark dry place such as a shed or garage for a month. Ensure the flowers point towards the floor. You could tie a piece of string to the bundle to hang onto a screw or nail. Wherever you hang them, put them out of the way to avoid damage from your head!
  • When they are ready, untie the string from the bundle and the stems and use in dried flower arrangements or cut each one up for pot-pourri.
  • If the smell goes, use sprinklings of lavender oil to bring back the relaxing fragrance.

There is a range of medicinal ways that lavender can be used, treating a variety of ailments. It can treat colds, rheumatism, stress, depression, abdominal complaints and loss of appetite among many others. Lavender has been used for centuries as an analgesic for skin disorders, burns, insect bites and rashes. It reduces itching and swelling of the problem area.

You can add five drops of lavender oil in bath water before you go to bed, as this will help nerves and stress. You can also put a few drops on your pillow and this will help you get a good night's sleep as well as having a calming effect. It is used regularly in aromatherapy as a relaxant.

Many people use lavender as a floor cleaner because of its antibacterial properties. It gives a pleasant smell, ideal if house work causes you stress as it can relax you at the same time!

However, always seek medical opinion before using neat lavender oils on your skin as it can react on some people. Do not use it orally, on children or if you are pregnant.

Interesting Facts

Lavender is a member of the mint family (Lamiaceae). It was used in World War I as a lavender wash to bathe the wounds of injured soldiers. This resulted in a calming effect on the stinging wound. It has many healing properties and additionally helps to keep moths away from the clothes in your wardrobe!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips
Archive

Helleborus

21.12.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page

Christmas banner by Wotchit

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A60947409

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more