Know Your Worth!

1 Conversation

This is Week Thirty Seven of Giford's Bible Study Programme.

Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When a man shall make a singular vow, the persons shall be for the LORD by thy estimation. And thy estimation shall be of the male from twenty years old even unto sixty years old, even thy estimation shall be fifty shekels of silver, after the shekel of the sanctuary. And if it be a female, then thy estimation shall be thirty shekels. And if it be from five years old even unto twenty years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male twenty shekels, and for the female ten shekels. And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver. And if it be from sixty years old and above; if it be a male, then thy estimation shall be fifteen shekels, and for the female ten shekels. But if he be poorer than thy estimation, then he shall present himself before the priest, and the priest shall value him; according to his ability that vowed shall the priest value him.

- Leviticus 27:2-8

Length: 3/5

Controversy: 2/5

The context here is in trying to 'redeem' someone who has been 'promised to God'1. A sum of cash has to be paid to the priests to secure release from indentured labour. Whether this would constitute a form of slavery is perhaps debatable (is a month-old child capable of deciding for itself to undertake a life of service?). Note that babies less than a month old have no value whatsoever, and that a woman is worth considerably less than a man.

1 shekel was probably worth something like 10 USD. How much are you worth?

Christian Responses

Generally, Christian websites seem to view this as a good thing.

1Taken to mean menial service in the Temple - only Levites could be priests.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A60587003

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more