A Conversation for Pencils

Graphite comes from

Post 1

You can call me TC

On holiday just a couple of weeks ago, we visited a graphite mine in the very South-East of Germany, near the Czech border, which claimed to be the only graphite mine in the European Union. It was a fascinating visit and well organised, although going round the mine itself was no different for a non-expert from a visit to any other mine.

However, the manufacture of pencils was explained in great detail, and a large proportion of pencils are produced in nearby Nürnberg - Faber Castell, for example. The mine itself produces just the pure graphite, which is tiny weeny flocs of the black stuff, none bigger than 1-2 mm. The wood used for the pencils is an imported wood which has very fine and straight grain.

Graphite is also invaluable raw material as it has ideal properties for the manufacture of small mechanical parts (cog wheels etc), and various other items which becoming more and more in demand as technology progresses. So we were told.


Graphite comes from

Post 2

MaW

Interesting! I suppose graphite is useful at that... conducts electricity too. Really fascinating molecular structure...


Graphite comes from

Post 3

PQ

It isn't the only graphite mine in the EU (unless they are talking about actively working ones) - there is one in Cumbria UK
see http://www.pencils.co.uk (birthplace of the pencil - according to them)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more