A Conversation for Project Daedalus - Interstellar Spacecraft

Daedelus in Space

Post 1

gandalfstwin OGGMSTKMBGSUIKWIATA

The main problem with the Daedelus Project is that of nuclear materials, or nuclear weapons in space. The amount of fissionable material that would have to be lifted into near Earth orbit would be more than enough to totally devastate the planet, and us with it. I do know the principle involved; a version of a pulse-jet engine that the Nazi-Germans used in WWII in the Vergultengswaffen (V I) flying bomb.
In the case of Daedelus, the propulsion system would invove multiple nuclear fission explosions reacting against a 'pressure plate' thus increasing the velocity of the 'Mission'

As the article says, it would take the best part of fifty years to get there. And that is to Barnard's Star, where we have NO proof of Earth like planets.

Why spend all that mney when it could be better spent elsewhere. Any Galactic Civilisation is more likely to be doing what we should be doing...............................

LISTENING................

When you have errovacable proof, of some scientifically active civilisation that is searchng to make contact, then is the time for action.


You do not go sailing the dea of space, as Columbus and Maggelan did. They knew there was a way home: Our voyagers make a one way trip, unless the peoples that they meet have a higher technology than we.





Daedelus in Space

Post 2

IctoanAWEWawi

Not commenting on your opinion, but in your reasoning
"The amount of fissionable material that would have to be lifted into near Earth orbit would be more than enough to totally devastate the planet, and us with it"

It uses fusion not fission, the hydrogen-3 does not come from earth. All you would do to fuel it would be to carry huge amounts of stable hydrogen isotopes about.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Project Daedalus - Interstellar Spacecraft

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more