A Conversation for Melbourne, Australia

Apologies where due!

Post 1

melbourne mark

I apologise for calling the Herald Sun the Sun Herald.
I apologise for using the word ghetto when I really meant the opposite. The Prahran and Collingwood nightlife scenes are designed to keep heterosexuals out rather than gays in. Anyone got a word for that?
The original pre edited piece was entitled 'Melbourne, Australia - A Tourist Guide' and never had pretensions of being all things to all people, just a basic start up guide for new arrivals of all persuasions and proclivities.
Strongly agree about Paynesville and Metung and the whole Lakes complex - why don't you write a guide entry? - Then duck for cover!


Apologies where due!

Post 2

Phoenician Trader

The word ghetto did mean a place where outsiders were locked out. They were turned in prisons much later.

In much the same way lunatic asylums were intended to provided space and asylum to lunatics - the walls were meant to keep the outside world at bay. Represive goverments only later turned them into locked spaces and places of punishment!

smiley - lighthouse


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more