Olympic Report

1 Conversation

It has to be admitted that your trusty correspondant is a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the Olympic games. Week one = swimming and week 2 = athletics. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy just about every sport played on the planet and have become an instant expert on obscure sports I would not normally think twice about watching, such as Archery, trap shooting and Trampolining ie: sports where totally unknown Australians have somehow managed to win a medal and even fascinating sports like Handball which are virtually unknown here and where we have no chance at all.

As expected (and as per usual) the Americans dominated the swim meet if you go solely on medals won. However, without a doubt, the biggest stars were the Dutch pair of Inge de Bruijn and Pieter van den Hoogenband and Aussie Ian Thorpe. Unfortunately space does not permit me to go through every race, so I will restrict myself to listing the world records (in order of occurance):

Mens 400 freestyle Ian Thorpe (Aust)
Womens 4x100 freestyle Usa
Mens 4x100 freestyle Aust
Womens 400 medley Yana Klockkova (Ukr)
Mens 100 freestyle Michael Klim (Aust)
Womens 100 butterfly Inge de Bruijn (Ned)
Mens 400 Medley Tom Dolan (Usa)
Mens 200 freestyle Pieter van den Hoogenband (Ned) - twice!
Mens 4x200 freestyle Aust
Mens 100 freestyle Pieter van den Hoogenband (Ned)
Womens 100 freestyleInge de Bruijn (Ned)
Womens 50 freestyleInge de Bruijn (Ned)
Mens 4x100 medleys USA in both mens and womens

Other highlights in the pool included Australia scoring a goal in the last second of the match to beat the Usa for the womens water polo gold medal, Italy winning their first ever gold medal and of course how could one not mention Eric 'the Eel' Moussambini from Equatorial Guinea who almost drowned in his 100 metre heat in a time that could be beaten by most of you, dear readers. Is this not what the Olympics are all about rather than some bunch of pampered egotistical multi millionare basketball players who don't even stay with the other athletes and win a gold medal by beating a bunch of part-time bank tellers, shop assistants and pizza delivery boys. Your comments on this issue would be much appreciated...

Other memorable moments away from the pool in the first week included Marion Jones blitzing the field in the womens 100m final, Czech javelin thrower Jan Zelezny winning his third olympic title in a row, Great Britain's Steve Redgrave winning a fifth gold medal in his fifth olympics, the German pursuit team breaking the magic 4 minute barrier for the 4000m at the velodrome... the list is endless really.

As an Australian I am relieved the opening ceremony was not too cringe inducing (although even i struggled to work out that the cardboard boxes were supposed to represent sheep), amazed that our public transport system seems to be coping, happy that the weather has been good (even if it is raining at this very moment for the first time, although not at my place which is about halfway between the main stadium and the CBD), impressed that our nation of around 19 million people is currently third in the medal tally and absolutely sick to death of the Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi chant, so I can imagine how non Aussies must feel!!!

The top 5 in the medal tally as at 10pm Monday (BST) stands at:

CountryTOTALGoldSilverBronze
1:Usa58231421
2:China48211413
3:Russia47141419
4:Australia43122011
5:France3112136

Of interest:

CountryTOTALGoldSilverBronze
8:Netherlands15753
9:Great Britain19685

Next Week: the remainder of the Athletics program and everything else I can fit in along with a very special adjusted medal tally based on head of population that puts the Americans and Chinese in their place!


Linus...official Post Olympics Correspondant


25.09.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A442234

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more