Whaddya Mean, 'Which' Movie? Tch!

1 Conversation

h2g2 Film Banner by Fairydoodler

I saw it last night1, and it was the best movie I've seen in a long time. The cast is really, really good.

MF - makes a good Arthur. I'm not sure if it's just me getting older but, reading the books, Arthur always seemed to be quite old, but it actually makes a lot of sense that MF is younger. Trillian, I'm sorry to say, is actually quite ugly, so it doesn't really make much sense that he falls for her, but I suppose this really is a case of 'if you were the only girl in the world and I was the only boy'...

Ford - has an American accent, which is annoying, but he doesn't actually have a very big part (unlike Zaphod - those gold shorts don't leave very much to the imagination) so it doesn't grate too much. He's just not as cool in the movie as he was in the books.

Zaphod - reminded me rather annoyingly of Lord Flasheart, so I kept expecting Rik Mayall's cheeky grin to appear on the screen, but otherwise also not very cool, although wonderfully dressed. Zaphod's never been very clever, but he actually seems quite stupid in this.

Trillian - well, she got to snog MF, so she was lucky.

Marvin - I didn't like the pictures of him, but he does actually suit his character, although his fangy-eyes were a bit distracting. Lovely acting though and very funny, especially when he got shot in the back of the head.

Jim Lynn - knew he was there and which scene he was in, and even what he was wearing because I'd seen a photo, but couldn't spot him in the scene itself. Sorry Jim.

The only critism of the characters is that there aren't enough women! One dozey mare who seems to have lost a lot of intelligence for the movie, and another one who fancies Zaphod so much she's prepared to put up with Vogons. Hmph.

Right, plot. FECKING HILARIOUS!!! J was on the edge of his seat (literally) most of the way through, although that could have been an effort to deal with his full bladder as he was really engrossed in the film. He didn't talk nearly as much as he normally does, which was a great relief, so if this film can quieten a boy known for never shutting up, then it's doing something right.

I loved the Vogon ships - the way they just hung around in exactly the way that bricks don't - and I loved the way that they moved around. Very good. The scene when they get to Vogsphere is really, really, side-splittingly funny, although it's not actually explained in the film as far as I could see. You get the idea of what's happening and why, but it was a funny bit missed out I think.

The Heart of Gold is cool, too. The sighing doors kept making me laugh, although I think they should have gone for a Lara Croft-style 'oof', but that's just me. smiley - biggrin

At first it seems weird, hearing all the familiar lines quoted in the movie - it just made it seem as if all these people were just quoting funny lines as if they were, well, us really. Still.

Well, I think that's it really. Expect that I did want to go straight back into the cinema and see it again, immediately, and now I want it on DVD!

Mina

12.05.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Last week actually... ed

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4053827

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more