Hitchhiker Movie Review Two

1 Conversation

h2g2 Film Banner by Fairydoodler

As I've said to my mom about ten times already, I'm so glad I went to see the movie Friday night. I mean, it doesn't get much better than this. So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is a song, Stephen Fry's voice sounds perfect for the Book, and even Simon Jones gets his bit! I never knew Douglas Adams but, unlike my American friends, I know that changing the plot slightly from that of the books wouldn't have upset him — in fact, I think he probably would have liked it, knowing how every version of Hitchhiker's has deviated from the previous one.

And I think that's what I appreciate most about this film. Though I loved the Vogons, loved Slartibartfast and all that and loved the Book (faithfully accompanied by 'Journey of the Sorcerer') I think what I liked best of all is the undeniable way in which DNA's1 essence was infused into the project. It's not just his credit as an executive producer or his face and the dedication at the end — though of course I led the theatre in applause when 'for Douglas' appeared on the screen — I just feel like, somehow, I've learnt something about the man by watching this film that he wanted so badly to be made reality. Everything of DNA's that I've read, watched or listened to has taught me a little bit about him, and now especially, approaching the film from an h2g2 perspective, I'm just getting that much closer to DNA.

h2g2 is so important to my life, now, that I see myself looking at everything from a hootoo perspective — and, for obvious reasons, the movie more than most things. Since this 'hootoo perspective' entails, essentially, feeling like part of the Guide, I can actually relate to the story. Stephen Fry says something in the movie and A-numbers are popping into my head of EG entries on similar subjects. I got so excited when Jim Lynn got his 'thanks to' credit at the end. 'I KNOW THAT PERSON!' I wanted to tell the theatre. 'I HAVE POSTED ONLINE TO SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN THANKED IN THE MOVIE!!!' This might seem weird, I know. But h2g2 is my universe and so Hitchhiker's is my universe. I guess it's a sort of 'Let's all hero-worship DNA!' thing, and I don't know if that's a good thing or not. But it's made me become obsessed enough that I'm perfectly willing to look over any bad bits, which I certainly didn't notice 2. And now I need to get all the stuff — which is where, as a teenager dependent on my parents, I run into difficulties. I can probably find the soundtrack online for free... but I'll still need to scrape together something like 40 USD for the DVD when it comes out!

echomikeromeo

05.05.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1I didn't know Douglas Adams, so I can't call him by his first name, and 'Adams' or even 'Mr Adams' seems disrespectful somehow, so you'll have to be content with 'DNA'.2Apart from the design of Marvin, which really bothered me.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A4006919

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more