Kings of the Road

2 Conversations

Men and their Toys

This week saw more history being made at the Isle of Man TT races. The 37 mile circuit is possibly the most cruel on man and machinery anywhere. Motorbikes just aren't meant to go flat out for so long at a stretch, and, sadly, three racers died during practise week.

The history maker is one William Joseph Dunlop, known as Joey or 'Yer Man' to racing fans all over. He has never really felt at home on race circuits, but is the undisputed 'King of the Road' in Ireland and the Isle of Man. He is 48 and from the small town of Armoy, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland, yet he is super fit and, for the year 2000, has made a Herculian impact on the 4 laps of racing in the TT races.

In the first class of the week, the Formula One, he had the help of the Circuit crew from Honda, who couldn't believe what was required of their bike. The speeds that it was required to maintain for the duration made them baulk; Joey, with his mechanical expertise, set about the task of getting them to give him the best bike for the day. This they did, and Joey won his 24th TT! He was convincing and was leading his nearest rival David Jeffries when his clutch went on the final lap.

The next day it was unto the lightweights 250cc and Joey, yet again, set out fast from the start at Ramsey. It had been 25 years since Joey first raced the mountain course, and this was to be his 25th title. He's missed one year1, but the 250 was once again his! Joey, having missed out on it in 1999, has won 4 of the last 5 outings in this class.

Wednesday was the day of doubling up. First up were the ultra lightweights the 125cc class. Joey tucked into 'the little bike' and set off once more on this famous circuit returning, at the end, with a continually growing record 26th title. In the afternoon it was off for the Junior TT. Joey started well, being in second for most of the first 3 laps. The two races, however, seemed to affect him as he drifted off the pace and finished only 4th in this race.

So Joey had won his third hatrick of wins on the Island... another record, and extended his record on most laps over 110 miles per hour. The wee man with his Yellow helmet continues to be a legend at the Isle of Man TT.

David Jefferies, who won the Junior TT on Wednesday, went on to win the production TT (which was severly weather-delayed on Friday). The Senior TT was going to prove interesting on Saturday morning as Joey and David could both make a little TT history.

The Senior TT is the big one! It is raced over 6 laps instead of the normal 4, and the machines are the same as those used in Motorcycling Grand Prix. Jefferies set out fast, with Michael Rutter and Joey Dunlop chasing; checkpoint after checkpoint passed and the order didn't change. The three of them crossed the finish line in the same order. Jefferies and Dunlop had both recorded a hattrick of wins in the 6 races over the week. Yet another TT record! Jefferie's 6th lap broke the magic 125 miles per hour barrier to set an all time course record of 125.69 mph.

Demon Drawer


12.06.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page

11989, when he was injured

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A359831

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more