Not Scientific Science

2 Conversations

Bend It Like Beckham

No, this column is not about that hilarious movie. Have you ever watched football on TV1? Some of you haven't, all right. Anyway, you do know David Beckham, euh? Ooh, doesn't really matter!

David Beckham is one of the most gifted free kick takers on Earth. His ability to swerve the ball past players is remarkable.

Anyway, do you know why the ball swerves? Why does a ball sometimes change direction when hit? There's a world of physics behind. But Not Scientific Science will reveal it (I hope).

When Beckham takes one of his free kicks, he always hits the ball on the latter's side. This makes the ball rotate upon itself. Now, a ball which rotates upon itself brings the air surrounding it to move around it but not in a symmetric way. Let me clarify this:

At the point A of the ball (the rotation of the ball is opposite to its final trajectory), the speed of the air around is high, higher than the speed of the air around the point B of the ball. Following me? Good. Keep reading then.

The greater the speed of a fluid, the lower is the pressure it exerts on a body (in this case the ball). This means that the ball thus goes to the lower pressure space.

Simple enough when you understand it, euh? Anyway here's a link I that's well worth clicking: Physics of sports.

Not Scientific Science Archive

NotScientific

21.10.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1I'll just stick to my UK English - football=soccer

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3159461

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more