Grinnell, Iowa, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Grinnell, Iowa, USA

4 Conversations

Grinnell is a peaceful town, consistently ranked among the top 100 towns to raise children in the USA. It boasts a fine primary and secondary school system, and Grinnell College is a well-respected private liberal arts college, which has a beautiful campus and excellent staff. It is constantly striving to improve its facilities and academic achievements.

Local Attractions

A local philanthropist donated a lot of money to the town and, as a result, there is a gigantic park in Grinnell. Ahrens Park includes a mile-long walking path, a day-care centre, tennis and basketball courts, a soccer field, multiple baseball diamonds, a swimming pool, indoor gym facilities, a large man-made sledding hill, and an outdoors ice-skating rink. In addition to these outdoor activities, Grinnell also has county fairgrounds, a country club, and a number of golf courses.

As for indoor pursuits, Grinnell has a public library, a movie theatre, and a number of places to rent videos. It also supports a wide array of churches representing a number of different denominations.

Food and Lodging

You can choose to stay at one of Grinnell's many hotels, which range from the standard chain to family-owned establishments. There are also a number of places to eat to suit every palate. For fast food, Grinnell currently has a McDonalds, Hardee's, Subway, Maid-Rite, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Dairy Queen, and Taco John's. For a more leisurely and sophisticated meal, there are a number of upscale restaurants, including Café Phoenix (a coffee house/deli/restaurant) and the Depot (a luxurious restaurant housed in Grinnell's former train station). No matter what your culinary inclinations are, though, one of the best features of the food scene in Grinnell is the Dari Barn, an ice-cream shop just East of town on Highway 6.

Other Positives

Grinnell has a hospital, an extraordinarily large number of doctor's offices, three long-term care facilities and an assisted living complex. The crime rate is very low: there has been one murder in the past 30 years, which occurred between two parties simply passing through the area. The small, home-town feeling persists although Grinnell is just an hour away from Des Moines to the West and Iowa City to the East.

Negatives

While there are many wonderful reasons for living in Grinnell, it may not be for everyone. While the education system is very good, Grinnell is sadly lacking in entertainment for the 16 - 24 crowd. The majority of the town shuts down at 8pm and Friday nights are usually spent at home.

The Final Word

In short, Grinnell is the perfect place for young couples with small children, working adults, and the elderly.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A279146

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more