A Conversation for Barbecues

Lighting the fire.

Post 1

The Reverend Tito

I know of three ways to light the fire:
a.-The popular way involves large amounts of lighter fluid, gasoline, rubbing alcohol or other highly flammable liquids. It works (usually requiring several attempts).
b.-The charcoal manufacturer's way, which varies in complexity but not in effectiveness. It does not work.
c.-The "volcano method", effective nearly 100% of the time on the first try.

The Volcano Method:
1.-Empty bag of charcoal onto grate. Form a hollow mound (the 'volcano') with it.
2.-Take a sheet of newspaper and wet it generously with vegetable oil.
Form a loose ball with it, which you will place in the mound's hollow.
3.-Light the newspaper sheet in several places. If you've used too much oil it may refuse to catch fire; in this case, place bits of a rolled up sheet of newspaper around it and light those, instead.
4.-When the wet sheet has caught fire nicely, place bits of charcoal on top of it with tongs, taking care not to collapse the whole thing.

Anyone interested in reading an article on mexican barbeques?


Key: Complain about this post

Lighting the fire.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more