A Conversation for The H2G2 Puzzle Network

Puzzle 6

Post 1

Popa_Mintin

I have 48 one pound coins (£48) which I have to share equally between a number of people.

How much cash does each person receive ? smiley - space Please say why.

(I'm looking for a specific sum, not a formula.)

Puzzle 6

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm not sure if I understand the question - don't I have to know between how many people you have to share ?

Puzzle 6

Post 3

Icy North

Let's state the obvious, and see what happens:

Assume number of people is an integer n, where 1<=n<=48

Answer is either £48 (n=1), £24 (n=2), £16 (n=3), £12 (n=4), £8 (n=6), £6 (n=8), £4 (n=12), £3 (n=16), £2 (n=24) or £1 (n=48).

All other values of n undefined.

Puzzle 6

Post 4

Popa_Mintin

Icy, smiley - space Sorry pal, definately no cigar, smiley - spacesmiley - sadface
If you take another look at the question, it states quite clearly, I think, that (Quote):-

"I am looking for a specific sum, not a formula."

Popa.

Puzzle 6

Post 5

Icy North

Well I only posted it cheekily, to elicit a response.

I wouldn't exactly call it a formula. s = 48/n would be the formula. I'd call it a statement of the ten possible solutions.

Seriously, I suspect that there is a lateral solution to this, but I haven't spotted it yet!

OK let's try this next:

Popa, as you didn't state the number of people, I have set this to be 8. The answer is £6.

smiley - cheers Icy

Puzzle 6

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - rofl

I thought it should maybe be 1+x, depending on the number of people you shall share it through, but there are too many ifs included in that.

Puzzle 6

Post 7

Icy North

I've come back to this time and time again, Popa, and I still can't see your lateral solution. I'm probably far too literal to see it.

Any other hints which might help us?

smiley - cheers Icy

Puzzle 6

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Hi Icy, if you know the difference between 'between' and 'among' you should get the solution - I still don't smiley - silly

Puzzle 6

Post 9

Icy North

Hi Bel!

Aha! I think "between" in correct usage means "between two" (cf. Dutch "twee" = two). We should use "among" for more than two. This is an over-precise definition which has been lost in general usage.

The answer is therefore £24.

Puzzle 6

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

Thanks for explaining - I should have looked it up in my dictionary, but I thought I knew what it meant smiley - biggrin

Puzzle 6

Post 11

Popa_Mintin

Smiles…

Quite right, both answer and reason. I was reluctant to say so, but this was an English Language problem rather than a Maths one. I must say it took a bit longer that I had expected for crossword addicts to solve though.

Well done you two.

Puzzle 6

Post 12

aka Bel - A87832164

Oi popa, you know I haven't done anything except trying smiley - biggrin
Well, I'll wait for the next one smiley - winkeye

Puzzle 6

Post 13

Icy North

Thanks Popan - a good puzzle.

I have no idea how many years it's been since I last thought of the correct meaning of "between". I'm sure there are other, similar examples in our incomprehensible language.

Puzzle 6

Post 14

Icy North

(and why do I keep spelling your name wrong?) smiley - doh

Puzzle 6

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

Must be a Freudian slip - only that I have no idea what you really mean smiley - rofl

Puzzle 6

Post 16

Icy North

I don't understand that Freud stuff. Something to do with the mother figure. Is there a psychiatrist in the house?

Key: Complain about this post