A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Toilet Seats

Post 21

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

And, following my own advice, I managed to dig up a few tidbits. Apparently, there really was such a person. However...

"Crapper (1836-1910) was a Victorian plumber. His company, Thomas Crapper & Co, did make flushing toilets and he did lodge a number of patents, but he did not invent anything important. Flushing cisterns had been around for hundreds of years before he set up his business in Chelsea in 1861."

"The most famous product attributed to Thomas Crapper wasn't invented by him at all. The "Silent Valveless Water Waste Preventer" (No. 814) was a siphonic discharge system that allowed a toilet to flush effectively when the cistern was only half full. British Patent 4990 for 1819 was issued to a Mr. Albert Giblin for this product."

Removed

Post 22

Gnomon - time to move on

This post has been removed.

Toilet Seats

Post 23

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

That was the page from which I lifted the Albert Giblin thing. However, as he obviously did not invent the thing, or anything else relating to flushing cisterns, the continuance of the London Science Museum to honor him as the inventor is terribly irresponsible.

And, of course, your paragraph about the waste preventer is only conjecture, not solid history.

Toilet Seats

Post 24

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

So who invented the toilet seat?

Key: Complain about this post