A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Wand'rin star

Post 61

Demon Drawer

Nope. When Barry McGuigan was doing well he was British. This dispite the impairment that he was born and lived in Monaghan in the Irish Republic, he took British Citizenship so as to compete and win gold in the Commonwealth games. However when he lost to Cruz in Las Vagas he suddenly became Irish again. Colin McCrae came thrid as you said so he is Scottish. David Coultard has been British for much of this season. Irvine has suddenly become Irish this season, he was referred to as the British hope for the F1 title last year.

Wand'rin star

Post 62

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

S'funny, when the English do get a World Champion that was born & raised in England, not Canada or Ireland, they tend to ignore him. Just look at King Carl Fogarty. He never takes the Union Flag on his triumphal laps, just the Flag of St George.

Yet when he won the World Superbike Champoinships for a record 4th time who won Sports Personality of the Year? (Not that I'd argue with Lennox Lewis at all)

Wand'rin star

Post 63

Dinsdale Piranha

Sorry about that. I wasn't asking if you felt better, but saying that I felt better for getting the Colin McCrae bit off my chest. I don't think he will become British if he wins the world championship again, except for 'Colin McCrae, the only Briton to win the World Rally Championship'. This, if you think about it, is better than '... the only Scot to win...', since the later implies that some other Britons have won it. In the same way, it's better to be The Fastest European than The Fastest Frenchman.

I have a problem with taking ownership of sports stars who weren't born here unless they actually came to prominence here and first took up their sport here. This means that while I'm happy for a McGuigan/Lennox/Rusedski when they do well, I don't consider them to be _really_ British. When people are particularly cynical about it, e.g., Zola Budd, I find it amusing when the whole thing blows up in their faces.

Are you watching RTE for your motor racing coverage? Mind you ITV's coverage is shite, so I haven't been watching it - I mean, ads in a Grand Prix for God's sake.

Definitive answer to original question

Post 64

Wand'rin star

I've just remembered the Flanders and Swan thing of which the chorus was
"The English, the English, the English are best.
So it's up with the English and down with the rest"

Post 65

Dinsdale Piranha

Great song.

Go here http://www.h2g2.com/a359066 for all the lyrics.

Post 66

Red Petals

Just thought I would add a question to this one, what is being English? I was born in England but my Grandparents on my mothers side are Irish, on my Fathers Side they are Scottish what does that make me? COuld I be classed as a true Brit as I have close relatives from 2 of the 3 nations? And why is it on most forms when asking your nationality they they never State English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, its always British? Why oh Why oh Why!!!

BCNU
R:o)

Post 67

Dinsdale Piranha

Me too. I'm only half English. The other half is equal parts Irish and Welsh. I'm Irish enough to have played for Jack Charlton's Eire side, and I'm certainly Welsh enough to play for Graham Henry. There's just the small matter of a complete lack of talent to overcome now. That and the fact that I'm an old git.

Post 68

Munchkin

Which nationality: I was born in Scotland, and all my grandparents are Scottish (born there) but my dad was born in Canada (What ho! Son of Empire and all that!). So, I think I am Scottish, but I am applying for the Canada passport and I shall happily support them in any sporting endevour I think they might win at. smiley - smiley Interestingly I have afriend whose dad was born in a concentration camp outside Shaghai during the Japanese occupation. I don't think he gets to apply for Chinese citizenship though.
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot: I have heard that this was originally a slave song from the colonies, anyone know?
God Save the Queen/King: There is a verse about the rebellious Scots, written after the Jacobite rebellion had rtreated from Derby. Interestingly, more Irishmen than anyone died at the Battle of Culloden during this uprising and the Government army included the Royal Scots. Mind you the Jacobite army included the French unit, the Royal Scots, so hey ho!
Flower of Scotland: It is just a song sung at sports events, as it is easier to get worked up about than Scotland the Brave, which no-one knew the words too.

So, if I become Scots and Canadian, what is next? New Zealand perhaps?

Post 69

Is mise Duncan

There is a Billy Connolly line about the Scots going off and colonising the really cold parts of the planet - so Canada might do you well.
The nationality/citizen test I may (or may not have) stated earlier such that you are a National of the side you *genuinely* cheer for at world cup or Olympics and a citizen of wherever you pay income tax - thus I am an Irish citizen and English national...or West Brit for short.

As far as a sporting song goes - it needs to be a reasonably slow one, as the size of the crowd has a damping effect on any sudden pitch changes (no pun intended smiley - winkeye) thus "Flower of Scotland" and "The Fields of Athenry" and that welsh thing are better than Rule Brittania which should be dropped in favour of "Never walk alone" at all (unhelmetted) football events...so there smiley - tongueout

Post 70

Wand'rin star

preferably sung in a Polish accent eg the senior policemen I had doing a project on football hooliganism in Warsaw

Post 71

Wand'rin star

Lifting this back to the top for the benefit of any (com)patriots who have joined us in the interim smiley - star

Post 72

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

What I find vaguely amusing is the seeming embarrassment over the "crush the rebelious scots" line in God Save the Queen despite the fact that the whole of Flower of Scotland is about wooping English Butt!

Have to say that I'm a big fan of the Marseilles ... in spite of some peoples complaints, I don't think it's too long and boy does it incite patriotism if I wasn't a Jock I'd almost want to be a Frog ... ribbit

What's the English national anthem?

Post 73

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

I always thought the english national anthem is "land of roadworks and roundabout" on the melody of "land of hope and glory" smiley - winkeye

What's the English national anthem?

Post 74

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

BTW, Swing Low Sweet Chariot was written by an American, Stephen Foster, same guy who wrote Camptown Races etc....

Key: Complain about this post