This is the Message Centre for finnjim, THE Teacher, messing with peoples minds since 1997

Salve finnjim!

Post 1

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Hi finnjim, I'm spelugx (usually just :x though).

Welcome to H2G2. smiley - smiley I'm am Assistant Community Editor (<./>ACE</.&gtsmiley - winkeye and I'm a sort of official greeter. I hope you find lots of interesting things around this site. To help you get started go and have a look at our newspaper (<./>ThePost</.&gtsmiley - winkeye, especially the links page where you can find all the groups and meetings places. If you want to find out about something specific try a <./>Search</.>. To find out more about some of the jargon used on h2g2 try h2jargon A632431.

Personnally I like to hang out in the H2G2 Café where anyone is welcome (A202924). One useful page is 'Spicing up your User Page' (A690518), which will help you start creating a space to call your own. Feisor, another <./>ace</.>, has created a page of hints and links for new researchers at A719840.

Another good resource is the <./>DontPanic</.> Help Centre which can be reached via the 'Help!' button on the toolbar at the top. To find the busiest places on hootoo you can look at the list of busiest conversations on the <./>FrontPage</.>, but <./>Askh2g2</.> is usually always busy. If you want to see what other people are writing, have a look in PeerReview. Everyday five articles are published as being 'edited' by the editors, and you can see what has been edited in the past at Month.

A cool thing about h2g2 is the large collection of smilies that you can put into conversations smiley - fish. The full list is at <./>smiley</.>, but most normal ones like ; - ) are accepted smiley - winkeye.

If you have any questions just reply and I try and sort them out for you smiley - smiley.

HTH & HAND. smiley - biggrin

x - a *friendly* person smiley - silly

Salve finnjim!

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hey, finnjim! I spent a couple of years teaching computer and video skills to adults, which mostly meant leaping to save some expensive piece of equipment from being destroyed while smiling supportively at the idiot who was wrecking it. Thank Zarquon for smiley - alesmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - cider! smiley - silly

Salve finnjim!

Post 3

finnjim, THE Teacher, messing with peoples minds since 1997

I dont even bother to do that cos as far as im concerned it's easier to learn by making mistakes and i tell them that mess on the machines cos i'm the one who has to fix them any way. And as regards fixing them it's so easy and automatic to rebuild tham and reinstall windows that thats what i do.
I have created a boot CD for the various machines it formats the machine and puts the software back onto it.

Salve finnjim!

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I was more thinking of incidents like where an expensive video camera was being used as a hammer to free a stuck tripod leg... Or someone was trying to remove a floppy from a Mac with pliers because they "couldn't find the eject button"... Or where someone had actually managed to force a second floppy disk into a drive without removing the previous one... You get the picture? smiley - geeksmiley - cry

Salve finnjim!

Post 5

True but my problem is I'm actually a qualified Engineering teacher so I'm usually the one showing them how to do these things not stopping them. As is well known Engineers never use the proper tool for the job. For example the screwdriver is also a paint can opener, paint stirrer, crowbar, pry bar, hammer, nail, stabbing inmplement.smiley - cool

Salve finnjim!

Post 6

...and in industrial situations, it can make a great temporary fuse... smiley - biggrin

Salve finnjim!

Post 7

Don't forget the Sharpened and under the back wheel of the bosses car the day before you retire/resign/get fired (please delete where applicable)smiley - bruised

Key: Complain about this post