A Conversation for Pok-Ta-Pok: Ballgame of the Ancient Maya

Peer Review: A814448 - Tlachtli: Ballgame of the Ancient Maya

Post 1

Jane Bane

Entry: Tlachtli: Ballgame of the Ancient Maya - A814448
Author: Jane Bane - U185448

this represents a fairly huge amount of research i had to do for anthropology class last year... only now could i face it again.
i have a bibliography if such a thing is necessary in this format.

A814448 - Tlachtli: Ballgame of the Ancient Maya

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

This is an extremely interesting entry, Jane.

I for one would be interested to know a bit about the bibilography. Are there any web links?

When did the Mayans die out?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 3

Jane Bane

i was afraid of that... i don't really have my notes anymore but i hoped the whole conquistador thing would give an idea of the time period. i can't give any dates off the top of my head. but it wouldn't be too difficult to find out.
i might be able to find some web links.. the bibliography is all books but i do know of some websites. i'll look into it.

Post 4

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

The Mayan civilisation peaked during the period roughly 300-900 AD. The Conquistadores, of course, didn't arrive till the the early 16th C.

>When did the Mayans die out?
The language is still extant, and spoken by something like half a million people.

Bels

Post 5

Jane Bane

uh huh. should probably take the conquistadores out then.
we talked about the aztecs in that class as well so perhaps therein lay the confusion

Post 6

Jane Bane

thanks a lot for the information, by the way... god knows how long i would have fumbled around tryiing to figure that out

Post 7

Jane Bane

smiley - ermperhaps i should also change the title to the mayan word, rather than the aztec.
most of the websites i have bookmarked aren't really that informative, but they do have pictures. would that be worth including?

Post 8

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

Of course the Mayans were based further south than the Aztecs. The Mayans were mainly in what are now Guatemala and Belize (as well as Mexico) whereas the Aztecs extended further north, at least as far as the Rio Grande, so some of them at least were Texans.

Haven't got round to reading the entry yet - sorry about that.

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Websites with pictures - yes, well worth including.smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 10

Jane Bane

ok, i've added a couple links. they have pictures.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

TallTony

Isn't Tlachtli the Nahua name (Aztec) for the ballgame, rather than Maya? Will that not affect the title of your article?smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more