A Conversation for Decompression Sickness

Other causes of the bends

Post 1

Flobud

I'd be interested to see some additional discussion of possible causes of decompression sickness other than diving.

I have seen (not in person, unfortunately) that astronauts on the International Space Station exercise while breathing pure oxygen before going out of a space walk, to avoid the bends, and I'm curious how that works--since they're moving from a pressurized habitat to a pressurized space suit.

Anyone have the scoop?

smiley - sheep Flobud

Post 2

Stuart

Hi Flobud,

The are other causes of decompression sickness besides diving. It is also know as Caissons Disease because Caissons Workers working in a pressurised environment can sometimes suffer of type of decompression sickness. I suspect this is what the astronauts are guarding against.

It is a different type of decompression sickness that requires prolonged exposure to the higher pressure. It causes a condition called bone necrosis which is permanent. This is a chronic condition whereas the decompression sickness described in the article is an acute condition.

Divers can sometimes suffer from this condition after many years diving and without ever having any of the acute symptoms of decompression sickness described in the article.

Regards

Stuart

Post 3

Mic

Another way to get the sickness is by going deep underground and surfacing quickly. for obvious reasons of course. one clear example is going down an elevator into a mine. working there for prolonged times, and coming back up really fast.

Post 4

Stuart

Hi mic,

This is in fact Caissons Disease. Anyone that spends a long periods of time in only slight pressure diferences can be affected. This includes miners and tunnerlers.

Workers on the Channel Tunnel had to take precautions againast Caissons Disease as the tunnel working were slightly pressurised to help keep the water out.

Regards

Stuart

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more