This is the Message Centre for Terran

Head Explode *splat*

Post 1

Terran

Its annoying.

I've 101 things to do, not to mention things I want to do for people on h2g2 *waves at friendly post people*. But my brain is so full of stuff to do with doing a 5000 word essay for my Masters degree, that I'm somewhat paralised.

Yeah I know, I'm lucky. I'm in education in a time of economic crisis - people are hardly going to feel sorry for academic boy. Although the money situation is hardly cut and dried, but that's hardly the subject for h2g2.

I have a problem with focus. Okay anyone who has ever dealt with me on h2g2 probably has that vague idea. To clarify I appear to have a problem focusing on more than one thing. My girlfriend seems to do this rather well - she volunteers for so many things I've almost lost track! And that's the problem - I like to volunteer for things, but in contrast I seem to struggle. I get - for want of a better word - scared. For want of an even better word I get terrified.

What's bizarre is that my h2g2 time was born out of a period when I was in the midst of education. Some of my best stuff was when I was a student first time around.

However wisdom has granted me the perspective to see that I have some fairly major gaping flaws. I wish that I could just control when the motivation can actually produce something productive. Well the rediculous thing is - is that it is entirely possible for me to control it. I just seem to let my emotions get the better of me. Sadly I am not a vulcan - not even half of one. I'm half Irish and half English, so I should at least be half lucky. So something should come up.

The most annoying thing is I find it rediculously easy to write this sort of crap, instead of something useful. This in a way is, I guess a way of procrastinating. And a good procrastination is sometimes needed to get the intellectual juices flowing.

I just wish I could just switch it on and off at times, you know? But then perhaps I wouldn't be human. I'd be a machine. Still, this is why I returned to education. To get my brain working again. To challenge myself. And by and large its worked! I just hate essays. Unless of course, it's something that I've done myself - but then isn't that what all the great historical figures in science have done? Write about their own work - not someone elses!

Okay I'm moaning now. Trying to make excuses. Better just get back to looking at that word document and hope that words magically add themselves... it only has to be in on Monday! smiley - yikes

Key: Complain about this post

Head Explode *splat*

More Conversations for Terran

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more