A Conversation for Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Peer Review: A809903 - Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Post 1

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Entry: Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois, USA - A809903
Author: psychocandy - U194479

I don't mean to sound vain, but I think this is a very well written article, I did it myself, and would love to share it with the community.

I don't want to edit it much, though, so if it doesn't fit, just let me know and then ignore it, eh?

A809903 - Navy Pier, Chicago, Illinois, USA

Post 2

Then again, as this is part of a "collborative" comprehensive effort on the city, maybe you'all should igore it completely anyway... I dunno. smiley - erm

Post 3

... especially as it's a horrible entry, I'm not a writer by trade, and it would likely require massive editing just to be passable. Yes, on second thought, this isn't suitable at all. What was I thinking? Argh! smiley - cross

Post 4

Number Six

On first glance, looks good to me smiley - ok

smiley - mod

Post 5

Why thank you! smiley - blush I hope it fares well. I worked really long and hard at it.

Post 6

Ivan the Terribly Average

Psychocandy, this is a really good entry. smiley - cheers It gave me a clear picture of something I'd never heard of before.

My only comment is a real nit-pick. I think I read somewhere that entries should be in British English, which means that 'deep draft' should be 'deep draught'smiley - winkeye.

That's the only Americanism I spotted... (Me, I have to filter Australianisms out of my posts.)

smiley - redwineIvan.

Post 7

sprout

Like it smiley - ok

I think it's ready to go as it is - you've got the links in as well.

sprout

Post 8

Z

I think that this is a very good entry as well, the writing style is excellent, accessible and intresting even to those who may never go there.

I haven't got time to nit pick it in detail but any nits will only be very minor.. and very easily fixed Good work.

Who says you need to be a writer by trade to get into the EG.

Post 9

Thanks! I would be happy to change the spelling of "draft" to "draught" if necessary, and don't mind a bit of nit-picking. My greatest fear was that my writing style wasn't very good, and I was merely parroting facts from my source materials. I'm always afraid of that when writing research papers and such, I believe plagiarism is a mortal sin. smiley - winkeye

Thank you all for the compliments. smiley - blush

Post 10

Z

See and their was nothing to worry about - I have a feeling this could be the first of many entries you make to the Edited Guide..smiley - biggrin

Post 11

nullspace

A good read, indeed.

One numerical nit to pick:

"The 3,300 foot (.0625 mile) long Pier..." .625 mile or just over 1 kilometre...

smiley - cheers

smiley - jestersmiley - skull

Post 12

frenchbean

Hi pc smiley - smiley

Great entry smiley - oksmiley - applause I really enjoyed this.

Just one comment: perhaps the link could come earlier in the text? I really wanted to be able to picture the Pier as I was reading it and only found the link at the end.

Also when I clicked on >play< on the picture I jumped out of my chair smiley - doh Wasn't expecting explosions! Fabulous....

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 13

Thanks for all of the input. This would actually be my second entry to the edited guide, if it meets the standards. I'm glad to know it was a good and interesting read!

I've made a couple of small changes as per some of your suggestions- changed the spelling of "draught", and added the "one kilometer" bit. While it would be fun to see the Pier while reading the article, I don't know if placing the link earlier on would break up the cohesion of the entry or not. Is it merely standard practice to place links at the end, or is it recommended to do so?

Thanks again for the suggestions, and I'm glad those of who you've read have enjoyed the entry. smiley - cheers

Post 14

'kilometer' = 'kilometre' in British English smiley - winkeye.

Ivan.

Post 15

Thanks, Ivan.

Honestly, on second thought, I've changed my mind about submitting this to the edited guide, not least of all because I don't really feel like re-writing everything in British English. smiley - winkeye That and having thought about it, I really don't want anything I've done plastered on the front page or anything at this time.

I appreciate all of the input again, and maybe one day soon I'll change my mind. Either way, your tips have been very helpful and will be so should I consider contributing anything else to the edited guide at a later date.

smiley - sorry for wasting everyone's time...

Post 16

That's a pity, Psychocandy. If you change your mind I, for one, will be glad.

Post 17

Z

That's a shame, this will be a great loose to the edited guide. It will take at least three or four months for it to get into the guide though.

Also I'm sure that any changes a sub makes would be just minor ones..

But if you've got any futher thoughts do let me know..

Post 18

Milos

psychocandy, this is a great entry about my *very favorite* thing to do in Chicago smiley - ok. A trip to Chicago isn't complete without a visit to the Pier and dinner at Bubba Gump's. Please reconsider its inclusion in the guide, it would make a fine addition.

If you do reconsider, would you do me a favor, and *please* mention the sculptures in the park at the west end of the Pier? Of all the things to do at the Pier, seeing the sculptures is my favorite, and every time I go (once every couple of years) they're always different. One of my favorites was the giant pump shoe a few years back that was made out of hundreds of little pump shoes... sadly it was one of the few you couldn't really climb on and "get to know". I have dozens of pictures of family and friends on different sculptures from over the years. smiley - biggrin

Take care!

Post 19

Natalie

Aw no I liked this one! Do you still feel the same about submitting this, Psychocandy? The subs and in-house staff will make any British English alterations that remain.

Post 20

Number Six

Please? smiley - grovel

smiley - mod

Key: Complain about this post