This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 21

Hypatia

I like patterned socks, myself. Argyle or stripes or polka dots. Solid colors come next. I have more blue and brown than any othwer colors. Anything but plain old white.

I discovered that there is indeed a complete third season of Murdoch Mysteries. Unfortuntely, it is not available in the US. It is available in the UK, but only as a set which includes seasons one and two, which I already have. So poo. Maybe it will come out in a year or so.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 22

Researcher 198131

I like green ankle socks.

Hyp, I totally agree about 'Trial & Retribution'. It's TERRIBLE! I've seen a couple of episodes and found all the characters totally unlikable and the plot rather predictable.

Have you seen "Wire in the Blood"? That's a brilliant series. Can get a bit gruesome, but the stories are intricate and surprising. Also, I find the main character Tony Hill (Robson Green) totally likeable.

smiley - elf

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 23

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ooooo... Tony Hill, love that series! Fascinating how he's trying to get inside the mind of the criminals.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 24

Hypatia

I've seen "Wire in the Blood" advertised but have never watched any of them. I'll put it on my wish list. I have all of "Waking the Dead." That's a good series, although certain episodes were a lot better than others. The main character in it isn't likeable, either, but the rest of the character's are. I'm not sure how many series I have. I'd have to hunt up my albums and count them. Twenty, probably. Some serious and some lighter like "The Last Detective." I really enjoyed that one.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 25

Researcher 198131

Ah, the Last Detective. I like anything that has a Doctor in it smiley - winkeye

Have you seen Life on Mars? The British one I mean, not the American one. The American one wasn't bad, but I didn't like the ending.

smiley - elf

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 26

Hypatia

I haven't seen Life on Mars, either. Either version. American producers rip off a lot of British programs then don't do them as well. It must be hard to come up with new ideas. Everything seems recycled these days.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 27

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

If you like Waking the Dead, you could try, Silent Witness or Cold Case (the first one's British, the second is USAian).

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 28

Researcher 198131

'New Tricks' is kind of a British version of Cold Case. It's no where near as intense, but it's a lot of fun.
Lots of cumudgeon humour.

smiley - elf

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 29

AlsoRan80

Hi Hypatia,

Well I also love mysteries - and I never know who has committed what. !! So it is always a surprise. I would make a lousy detedctive. !! So I also love detective series ad like the ones you mention such as lewis and co. Of course Hercule pPoirot was ny favourite. Naaturellement,

With affection

Christiane.

Monday 29thn Novenber 2010, 5.10 GNT

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 30

Hypatia

Poirot is one of my favorites, also. smiley - smiley And Miss Marple is good. Of the Agatha Christie series, I never particularly liked Tommy and Tuppence. I found them a bit ridiculous.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 31

Baron Grim

The last mystery novel I read was probably Encyclopedia Brown. smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 32

Titania (gone for lunch)

My favourite Poirot actor is David Suchet. I seem to remember Agatha Christie describing Poirot as a diminutive figure with egg-shaped head and an imposing *black* moustache. I always found Peter Ustinov missing all those traits.

As for Miss Marple, I think Joan Hickson does her best. Angela Lansbury is too firmly tied to Murder, She Wrote in my mind.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 33

Gnomon - time to move on

I also would recommend the British version of Life on Mars. You might never figure out exactly what it is all about, but each individual episode is a good police drama/adventure.

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 34

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

And it really caught the feel of the era it was set in. They did their research well for that series. So well, in fact, that I'm not sure if anyone who didn't live in Britain during the 70s would get the full impact, whether it's because they weren't in Britain or they simply weren't born yet, just as I can never fully appreciate a 1930s or 40s American gangster flick.

But you're right, although it's a series with a plotline running from beginning to end, each episode stands on its own as a story, and a good one. I didn't know there was an American version, and as soon as I saw the DVD cover on its IMDb page, somehow I knew that Harvey Keitel was going to be the Gene Hunt character before I looked at the cast list smiley - biggrin

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 35

Hypatia

Right. I put Life on Mars on my wish list, too. I'm not ordering anything else until I recoup from having to buy the new cook stove.

CZ, the kids have about stopped reading Encyclopedia Brown. They don't read the John Bellairs books any more, either. smiley - sadface

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 36

Baron Grim

Oh, I'm not surprised nor upset that kids don't read Encyclopedia Brown anymore. Those books were very much of that era.

But they did make me feel quite clever. smiley - ok

Bit of a Disappointment

Post 37

Researcher 198131

At first I thought Harvey Keitel would be a little old for the part, but he did a good job. I'm sure they made good use of a stunt double though.

smiley - elf

Key: Complain about this post