A Conversation for The Enigma in Elgar's Variations

Elgar's Enigma

Post 1

Researcher 208476

The solution to Elgar's Enigma as described in the h2g2 site can be a bit more precise. The 'answer' is twofold:

'A friend' is 'pictured within' the 'Enigma'. Anyone could have guessed her identity: it is Britannia.

The theme related to the variations is based on the chorus of: 'Rule Britannia' (never, never, never... shall be slaves).

That is all there is to it. However another symbol for Britain is hidden in the veriations: GRS = 'organist of Hereford cathedral'. Another organist was John Bull in the late 16th century. And the symbol on English steadiness 'John Bull' is there too, together with his bulldog Dan, jumping in the river Wye to collect a stick! A site is devoted to it: www.odna.org/elgarenigma

Elgar's Enigma

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

As I said in the entry, that's one theory. But it is not accepted by everybody; the Elgar Society does not believe it, for example.

Elgar's Enigma

Post 3

rutle42

I believe I have solved the 100 year old puzzle - and it doesn't contradict what you say!!!

As I am waiting for a response from Patrick Turner, I am loth to give up the chance to make musicological history by disclosing it here.

Suffice it to say that all the odd (and weird) details in his book actually fit the solution rather well.

The question is: what is the etiquette to talk to someone privately here? I just joined H2G2 specifically so I could talk to you, Gnomon, as your entry was the start of my figuring it out properly.

I'd publish my real email address but that seems a bit extreme. Is there a way we can talk without the whole world hearing about it?

rutle42

Elgar's Enigma

Post 4

rutle42

Gnomon,

on second thoughts perhaps you would send me an email to [email protected]. Everything that goes there is in currently spam, but I am sure I would be able to see your message, and (assuming you agree) start corresponding with my "normal" email address.

rutle42

Elgar's Enigma

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

A good idea not to put your main e-mail address here! I've sent a message to your hotmail account.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more