This is the Message Centre for Alfredo

hello

Post 1

CALIFORNIA BLONDE STUCK IN HOUSTON HELL

Just wanted to tell you for someone who says they are trying to get use to english again, you are doing a great job!smiley - biggrin Probably better than most of us who only speak itsmiley - laugh

Michellesmiley - flyhi

Thanks, Michelle

Post 2

Alfredo

Thanks Michelle, for the compliment.
When I listen to the BBC, I do love the chemistry in their expressions. I won't be able to meet that level, but the love for that language gives me enough drive to write and meet at h2g2.

So you are born in California.
I was married for 15 years with a girl/woman of my age, who was born in Hawaï (father was temporarely doctor for the army)and raised in Santa Barbara in California. Later on she worked in Oregan as a nurse.

We are divorced now for about ten years, and we all are happier than before, including our four daughters. They all have an American passport and one lives in New York, because she too lóves (modern) dance and she has her own modern dance group there.
Her mother and sisters live in Holland, as I do.

But one of her sisters dreams always in English, so somewhere there live in two cultures. When they are in the U.S. they are like Americans and in Holland they are like the Dutch. They seem to be comfortable in both cultures.

And I also do feel comfortable in the (writing) world of h2g2, also because of people like you, although I wouldn't dare to come near to you dog....(but I believe you)

So,

Hallo from Amsterdam!

Thanks, Michelle

Post 3

Yes I am from there and I have lived several other places, like Hawaii, but I spent the most time there. I was a Air Force brat, the only place I have lived out of the country was Germany.

So what's the weather like in Amsterdam? I have a friend at work who goes there a lot, their husband travels back and forth a lot too for work. I have seen some great pictures, very beautiful place!

So why wouldn't you come near my dog? He loves people! I don't even think he would attack someone who breaking in, he would just think they were there to see, he thinks everyone is here to see him.smiley - laugh

Very cool about your daughters! Have you been to New York to visit your daughter? And practice your english?smiley - laugh Even I don't know if what some of them speak there could be considered english. smiley - laugh

It was nice chatting with you, hope to chat again soon!
Michelle smiley - flyhi

Amsterdam

Post 4

Alfredo

Well Amsterdam is a country on its own.(although just 800.000 people)
Not because of the scale, but mainly because of the cultural climate.

It is a very old city with véry small streets, houses, etc. and a very liberal policy, which álso means that it has been and will be a hiding place for people on the run at this globe.

The way people live there is very relaxed and tolerant, although I will never be really able to cope with the stress of cities, so I mainly remain at the border.

I díd love Santa Barbara because of its nice climate and tranquility.
Yes, I won't forget that.

In 1980 I was in Harlem, New York, for three weeks in a row, to study a rehabilitation project for drugaddicts. Fascinating and very moving.

My daughter did study outside New York, but after her graduation she went downtown to limit her travelingtime. She loves the creativity and all of that, but hates the stress and smog. Once or twice in a year she drops in here in Amsterdam.
After 9/11 she spent a great amount of her time as a volunteer of the read cross, for 12 months. Very heavy, but inspiring and I loved to coach her by the phone and e-mails. She already wás a volunteer before the attack, just as a contra-experience for her earning money in a decadent hotel. You can't live from dancing.
But now things seem to ease and I think she'll create a dance for one of the unofficial memorials to come. That was what she told me;"but now it is all too fresh".

Tomorrow I'll watch your fellow Texas man, Lance Armstrong, in the Tour the France (Bicycling for three weeks). I just read today his life story (grandfather vietnam veteran/alcoholic; mother poor but greatly admired by him and father somewhat disappeared. He never mentions his fathers name, just talks about his "DNA deliverer".

A véry inspiring man, that Armstrong; a unique mixture of pride and humbleness. Although he believes stronly in what he does, he doesn't make a dogma of his lifestile..(he had cancer till a few years ago and won four times the Tour).

Greatings from Amsterdam.

Amsterdam

Post 5

Hello Amsterdam!smiley - biggrin

I hope all is well!smiley - smiley

Yes he had prostate cancer, I don't know much about him but my husband does. My husband works for Suburu and he is their new spokesman, when he told me, he got upset that I didn't know who he was, I do now.smiley - laugh

Your daughter sounds like a wonderful person! You must be so proud of her! She sounds like a very caring person especially for living in New York, it has a tendency to corrupt people, New Yorkers aren't known for their kindness. It sounds like more people should be like her!smiley - biggrin

Yes I know about how liberal Amsterdam is! I believe that's why my friend likes to go all the time!smiley - laugh I have seen some of pictures and it looks like a beautiful city!! That's one thing I don't like about Houston, even though it is the 4th larest city in the US (4.8 million in the metro. area) it is a very new city, it wasn't establish until 1938. Evereything is so new!! My house was built in the late 60's and that's old for heresmiley - laugh

Well I must go now I hope to chat with you soon!
Michellesmiley - flyhi

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Alfredo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more