A Conversation for What if...?

What if...the world slowed to half its normal pace but your thoughts (just YOURS) went at normal speed?

Post 1

The Groob

So, I'm playing a game of football and everything is in slow motion, but my thinking stills happens at the same rate. Amazing reaction times and awareness result, but would I be able to control a ball when everything (including my own body) travels at half the normal speed?

Where else would this ability be useful? Would it be a boon or a burden in the long term?

What if...the world slowed to half its normal pace but your thoughts (just YOURS) went at normal speed?

Post 2

anachromaticeye

I'd live twice as long but everything would become intensely weird.

For a start all sound would go down an octave. My girlfriend would sound like Barry Whitesmiley - ermsmiley - sadface

Post 3

swl

Ask Cristiano Ronaldo smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Deep Doo Doo

<>

I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain my thinking very well, but I'm convinced you'd find that there would be no noticeable difference in reaction times.

Your brain well may respond at it's current rate, but it will take double the time for your body to complete the reaction which will then take just as long as everyone else. I believe that the brain would just compensate for the body delay and become used to it.

Imagine an aged person. Their brain may think that they need to pick up the knife, but it takes longer for the arm to physically achieve the action. If everyone was physically moving at the same rate, your improved 'brain speed' wouldn't help.

I think...

Post 5

swl

This is kinda relevant -

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/04/mind_decision

""Your decisions are strongly prepared by brain activity. By the time consciousness kicks in, most of the work has already been done,"

Post 6

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I think it's probably computer games that you'd see the greatest improvement in. Many games depend on fast reaction times and rapid decision-making, and it's only your fingers that have to react to your decisions so inertia is much less of an issue.

Post 7

Hoovooloo

I've an IQ of 167.

My thoughts already seem to be happening at twice the speed of everything else in the world, and it's incredibly bloody annoying.

Post 8

anachromaticeye

A-w-w-w-wsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space d-i-d-d-u-m-ssmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more