A Conversation for What if...?

What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 1

Researcher U197087


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 2

DaveBlackeye

There'd be a big mess. Do we know who did it?


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 3

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

A disgruntled postal service worker.

smiley - pirate


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 4

Hoovooloo


It depends on precisely where in "the west", and how it was delivered and by whom. The list of even potentially hostile nuclear powers is short.

It is highly unlikely the former Soviet states would take the suicidal step of launching a strike on purpose.

I don't think there needs to be much debate if the target were the USA or anywhere the US is interested in, and the delivery system were a missile of any kind. The place of origin of the missile would be identifed within minutes, possible seconds, and would be a smooth layer of fused glass within the hour.

The question is interesting if we assume the gadget is in the back of a van and is detonated somewhere in Europe by person or persons unknown. Presumably some group or other would step forward to claim responsibility fairly sharpish, and in any case it's inconceivable that any terrorist group could assemble a weapon without the help of a government. There's a fairly short list of governments who are capable, and an even shorter list of those prepared to share the tech with mad-eyed loonies ready to nuke civilians.

If it went off in the UK, I imagine the response would be slow, considered, conventional, pointless and misdirected.

If it went off in France, I think there would, very shortly afterwards, be large "unexplained" nuclear accidents near Tehran and Islamabad.

If it happened in the territory of a non-nuclear power, it depends greatly on exactly where and by whom.

It's a reasonable assumption that if a non-missile-delivered nuke were to be used in Europe, Muslims would be responsible, whether Iran or Pakistan sponsored. And even if they weren't, they would almost inevitably get the blame. If they had the bad judgement to target Austria, Switzerland or Holland, I think it would be a very, very short road to all Muslims in those countries being rounded up. And those are just the countries I know to have active, vocal and electorally successful far-right anti-Muslim political movements and public attitudes.


Removed

Post 5

Alfster

This post has been removed.


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 6

Secretly Not Here Any More

"I'd say if it happens round em up over here...it would sort out our housing problem..."

Yeah! Muslims taking our houses! smiley - erm

What a ridiculous thing to say.


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 7

Hoovooloo

Dirty bombs' psychological effects are far more devastating to the target than their radiological ones.


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 8

Alfster

Mr603
< "I'd say if it happens round em up over here...it would sort out our housing problem..."

Yeah! Muslims taking our houses!

What a ridiculous thing to say >

Correct which is why I did not say that at all...at was a slightly satirical comment on one of todays news stories about the lack of affordable housing...


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 9

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Reportedly, the USSR made a bit over 100 suitcase-sized nukes, each of which could destroy an area of around a square mile. More recently, they did a stock-check, and could only find around 80 of them! smiley - yikessmiley - yikessmiley - run
By implication, it would not be impossible for someone with a few million in the (Swiss) bank (as, for instance, the Bin Laden family did, and possibly still do) to acquire one of these devices. Getting it from one country to another would be a challenge, but nothing a few $100k couldn't sweep away. Once it's in the country, intercity rail links could get it undetectably into the very heart of any major city, especially if the carrier is willing to not leave it unattended until his body is vaporised along with everything around him.
As terrifying as this sounds, there is yet another element to add to the fear: it could be anyone, not just Islamists. Anyone with enough cash to buy the underworld influence, enough more cash to make use of it, and a psychotic grudge against "the West/capitalists/whites/royalists/Zionists/etc." or anyone deemed to be aiding or harbouring them, could do it.


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 10

Hoovooloo

Alfster, you need to put a smiley - winkeye or something after some comments to make explicit the fact that you're kidding...


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 11

Alfster

Indeed, I thoguth we'd left the hard of thinking back at the Beeb Beeb Ceeb.smiley - winkeye


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 12

Alfster

It dopesn't matter tho as the post has been hidden...did we bring over some over-sensitive moderator from the BBC when we moved who can't see a satirical joke when they see it?

if I see many more posts hidden like that I'm off - I thought we'd gained some common sense when we moved...


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 13

Hoovooloo

Still just humans from earth, bud.


What if... a nuclear weapon were used on the west?

Post 14

Alfster

I was hoping for a better class of human though.smiley - winkeyesmiley - tongueincheek


Key: Complain about this post