This is the Message Centre for Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

On doing pills..

Post 1

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

..of the legal sort of course smiley - tongueout.

I decided that my fatigue had gotten to a point that I needed to do something tangible about it. So..I consulted my sister who is a dietician-to-be about supplements. I know that I'm prone already to anemia, so iron was a concern as was calcium, and whatever I'm missing as a vegetarian.

So..I then found myself going through all the vitamins at the store. Sis said that I shouldn't take calcium with iron as they compete for the same receptors. I also needed to be careful to find a non-heme (animal) iron source. When I do take the iron I should also have a citrus food to help with absorption. Found a multiple but it was lacking zinc. Tried to find calcium with zinc. No dice. The multiple had D so I got plain calcium (carbonate, which means I'll take somewhat more than if it were citrate) and a separate bottle of zinc. Also, got a big bag of walnuts - walnuts are one of the few non-animal sources of omega-3 fatty acids. I think 1/4 cup a day is about right. I will also be force-feeding them to Njan and the kids.

Hopefully I'll start feeling noticeably better. In the meantime, I'm very, very tired. smiley - zzz

On doing pills..

Post 2

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Myabe this is way too much information, but as I had anaemia, and had to take iron pills, and couldn't handle the indigestion they gave me, I have had to have iron injections in the butt! smiley - blush

On doing pills..

Post 3

Aw..smiley - hug

On doing pills..

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

If you are missing iron from the diet, and are getting anemia as a result, the iron in multivits, and single vits, won't help at all.
The best source, and it is an more easily absorbed source, is red meat... failing which, all your nice greens, broccholli, cabbage, spinich, anything like that smiley - biggrin I've seen a couple of people, including my mother very ill from lack of iron, it really is something to avoid, and now I've a nephew, of 17 who has decided to turn vegan, and is getting ill because of it... smiley - sadface

On doing pills..

Post 5

Saturnine

Eek! In the butt!

smiley - bigeyes

On doing pills..

Post 6

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Ah, it's not too bad, especially since I wimped out and am just eating broccoli (which I truly love). My butt is my own again!smiley - cool

On doing pills..

Post 7

I like broccholli, its one ot those veg though... I never know what to do with it... Yes, I know I can boil it up have it with me 'sunday' roast type meal... But I don't really cook 'sunday' roasts for one person smiley - alienfrown I could do with some more decent all veg recipies, well, ones that don't involve stir fry/other stuff with rice, which I'm fine on smiley - alienfrown wonder if broccholli would work with a cheese sauce, like collyflower cheese, or leeks with cheese sauce smiley - alienfrownsmiley - erm

On doing pills..

Post 8

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Yepsmiley - drool

On doing pills..

Post 9

smiley - biggrin Might have to try that smiley - magicsmiley - alienfrown though I could still do with a new oven smiley - doh more expense smiley - groansmiley - run

On doing pills..

Post 10

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

If you make the cheese sauce really thick, you can just bung it under the grill for a few minutes, rather than in the oven.

Or you could stir-fry the brocolli... Or make a soup...

On doing pills..

Post 11

broccoli cheese soup....smiley - biggrin

On doing pills..

Post 12

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

smiley - drool

On doing pills..

Post 13

Mmm, broccholli and stilton soup smiley - wow Guess what I'll be buying in my next grocery shop smiley - biggrinsmiley - ermsmiley - doh unfortunately my next grocerys arrive tomorrow, and its too late to change the order now smiley - dohsmiley - biggrin though I've a lot of veg this week in the form of stuff for stir frying smiley - drool including those little min smiley - corncob bits I like... smiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post