A Conversation for Mnemonics and Other Learning Devices

The Spectrum, And Important Items

Post 1

Researcher 42

I have a solution to two of the forgetful faults that plauge our world.

1.) To remember the colors of the light spectrum simply remember the name: ROY G. BIV (red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet)

2.) This is a general tip for remembering things to-do. It helps quite a bit if you tell yourself out loud what you wish to remember. For example, if you want to remember where you laid your car keys you would say : I left my car keys _________(by the door, on the counter, etc.) However, people may find you a bit odd if you talk to yourself to often.

Post 2

xyroth

"people may find you a bit odd if you talk to yourself to often", which is why it is a good idea to sub-vocalise (saying it under your breath like a ventrilaquist) when you do this trick.

also if you can visualise what you are saying, you are tying multiple senses together which gives you an extra level of error checking.

Post 3

djryan

The way we learned of remembering the Spectrum was "Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain" and that seems to have stuck for me smiley - winkeye

Post 4

Sparky Mark

Richard of York gave battle in vain is all very well but if you want to impress the spectrum in reverse is remembred as 'Virgins in bed get your organs ready' see, Violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red.

Post 5

Demon Drawer

The alphabet backwards

Said Wye 'Ex vie, ewe tea yes-sir. Queue pee oh! smiley - sadface In 'em hell.' Kaye Jade 'I hates G if he the CB. Aye?'

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more