A Conversation for 'Scattergood Baines' - the Book

My childhood favorite!

Post 1

Delighted_Puzzler

As a child, when I was too sick to read myself, I'd ask my mother to read aloud to me - usually this book, which I still have. It was 40 years later before I found out it had been a popular radio show and the inspiration for at least 6 movies in the early 1940's. I gather that the book's chapters were first published as a serial in magazines, as early as the 1910's.

The copy of the book that I have is dated 1921, but given that it includes what appears to be a photograph from one of the movies, it was probably actually published in the 1940's or 1950's. The full text of the book is now available on-line through Project Gutenberg.

Apparently, there was a much later sequel called, "Scattergood Baines Returns", so if you know anything about that one, please reply. Project Gutenberg does NOT appear to have that one on-line.

There's a good article about the author (with photos) at http://www.collecting-old-magazines.com/clarence-budington-kelland.html

Key: Complain about this post

My childhood favorite!

More Conversations for 'Scattergood Baines' - the Book

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more