A Conversation for The Origins and Common Usage of British Swear-words

The Vernacular

Post 1

ROUSTABOUT 236373

Whilst working in the Falkland Islands in the '60s, I noticed that the most common expletive was the word "PUTA" pronounced as if it had two o's in the middle. I discovered that this was Spanish for "whore." There was also a bird called a caracara, and another called a carancho, and I deduced that "Cara" meant hawk. Imagine my surprise when during the Argentino Invasion, I discovered they had a counter insurgency aircraft called a "PUTACARA." I immediately decided that this was a "Whore-hawk." Funnily enough the other phrase used when someone was annoyed was " Son of a Russian Whore" I never did work that out, as we were a long way from Russia. Once a year though the Russian Whaling Fleet came into NEW ISLAND on the Far West, for Water and Fresh Mutton. As far as I am aware the owner made a few roubles, and the British Government could do nothing about it, except get excited as there was no customs post on New Island, and it was a large fleet. Other than that all expletives were very similar to English ones. I thought I'd share that.

The Vernacular

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Doesn't 'cara' also mean 'dear' - perhaps 'putacara' means 'beloved whore', or just maybe 'whore-lover'.

Thanks for reading the entry and thanks for dropping by and posting.

smiley - ok

Ben

The Vernacular

Post 3

ROUSTABOUT 236373

I thought that was Italian, we are talking Spanish. I could be wrong.
Sorry have been away.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more