This is the Message Centre for psychocandy-moderation team leader

I guess I'd be on board with that....

Post 1

psychocandy-moderation team leader

So, I've been reading some of the announcement threads- and some of my friends' journals- this morning, and see that the Beeb are dumping h2g2.

On the one hand, I didn't want to feel too badly about it. With the recent changes, it looks more like a message board and less unobtrusive, so it's harder for me to peruse while at work, which is where I have the most time online. So I told myself I wouldn't get to use it as much, anyway, so I should just try to forget it already. On the other hand, I never expected the site to be custom-tailored for my convenience, unlike some seem to expect, and it's not like anyone at the office is watching my monitors... if I haven't been scolded for using h2g2 already, I ain't gonna be. smiley - winkeye

But you know, while I haven't been as active on Ask in the last couple of years, I'd like to be, if some of the people who are here only to troll were to go away. And while I admit that I don't have enough free time to muster the resolve to write for the guide, I do enjoy reading the occasional article and appreciate those who write for it so diligently.

I could live with advertisements. They're everywhere, and I can work around them, if I have to. I might manage a donation to the site, even. And I've been saying for years that I'd be glad to pay a subscription- it'd eliminate the problem of being a non-license payer and as such a second-class user. And I'd be even happier to pay a subscription if it weeded out some of those who are only here to troll, suff like that (and I'd whip out my checkbook right now if it meant NO MORE STUPID SWEAR FILTER!!!).

But what I can't and won't do is read or follow blogs. Sorry, I can't get them at the office and there aren't enough hours in the day to do it from home. smiley - sadface

Post 2

I also see some people proposing a system like what we have here in the US for NPR/PBS, where some level of access is free for all, and membership (premium access) is via voluntary contributions (as opposed to a subscription-only service). A lot of online communities are run this way, and it seems to work well. I'd definitely participate in that sort of plan too, in addition to chipping in to buy the place out. smiley - smiley

Well, I'll jump into one of the "official" threads soon, but wanted to sound off a bit here, first.

Post 3

Thanks, psychocandy. Excellent ideas. Have you seen/joined this?

https://groups.google.com/group/h2g2communityconsortium

Post 4

I have seen it, and responded that I'd be happy to (potentially) help. I don't have a lot of money to give or any tech-y skills, but I'll be keeping an eye out to see what's to come. If I can be involved, I will.

For a while I almost gave up, on account of a handful of toxic people. But recently, some researchers put together a list of about 200 active users. Five or six nasties out of 200-odd isn't too bad, no matter how prolific they are.

Post 5

Oops- didn't actually respond to or at the Google group. There doesn't seem to be any option for me to do that at this time, even if I wanted to. But I'll keep an eye out. smiley - smiley

Post 6

Okay, try sending an email to the group

h2g2communityconsortium at googlegroups dot com

with the appropriate @ and . of course.

If this doesn't work, gimme another heads up, okay?

JO the HN

Post 7

Got it- I've joined using my existing Google ID and will at the very least "introduce" myself shortly. I've read some of the posts re: costs, and it certainly sounds promising, if the legal aspects can all be aligned.

Thanks, Happy Nerd. We'll see what happens over the next days, weeks, or months...

Post 8

smiley - ok

Post 9

All that said... I had no idea prior to today that you were on my side of the pond. Or have you told me before, and I forgot?

Anyhoo... following the Google group now, though haven't posted yet. Sounds like I'm not the only one who'd be happy to live with ads and pay a subscription fee. I have to admit I'm sort of surprised at the way people are rallying to the cause.

Post 10

Z

Great to have you on board..

Post 11

>> All that said... I had no idea prior to today that you were on my side of the pond. Or have you told me before, and I forgot?

I can't remember. smiley - laugh

Post 12

Hi, Dr Zen. I'm having some difficulty following the conversation threads over there, having never participated in any Google or Yahoo groups before. But I'll figure it all out and jump in soon (if only I didn't have so much work to do today for month end!).

Post 13

I have a purely idly-curious question with regard to the BBC licenses. I understand they cost 145.70. Does that include internet service, or only broadcast TV and radio? I only ask because I understand that the BBC faces these budget cuts because "people" apparently don't want to pay more than that for the license fee (and here and there on the web, I see people moaning about paying it at all). Yes, we here in the US get broadcast TV- limited channels- at no charge. But that license fee is only about US $20 a month. I pay four times that for cable internet, and I don't even have cable TV. I'd pay 10 times that if I wanted cable TV as well. So it really doesn't seem like all that great an expense.

Not that "people" don't moan about wanting to defund public TV and radio here, too. I'm a huge supporter of public broadcasting so even as a non license fee payer, you won't hear me hating on the BBC here.

(Though I can't say the same about the nanny filther- I prefer reactive moderation on web sites, or perhaps individually tailored filters... but I digress.)

Post 14

van-smeiter

The licence is just for tv. Each household has to buy a licence just to watch tv (even if it doesn't watch any of the BBC channels.) It's a strange system but I'll happily pay my licence fee to have several advert-free channels. I, like you, am happy to dodge adverts (and sometimes ad breaks are handy for refreshment &/or ablution) but sports broadcasts, films, drama &c. are better without ad breaks imho.

The Superbowl is on BBC again this year and it's fab that, while NBC or whoever are showing commercials, I get to hear someone like Jerry Rice explain why the previous play was good/bad smiley - smiley

Post 15

KB

smiley - cool Exactly. That license fee is worth it for the lack of ads, alone.

Not that I'll be watching the Superbowl. I've got some very fascinating paint drying which I think I'll have to watch. smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for psychocandy-moderation team leader

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more