A Conversation for The Table Method of Factorising Quadratic Expressions

UK

Post 1

Whoami - iD dislikes punctuation

In all the UK textbooks I've seen (I've done GCSE and am sitting AO atm), it's called 'Factorising'. smiley - huh

UK

Post 2

EGK

'Factorising' is indeed the commonly used term in the UK (I was a professional mathematician is a former life). The verb associated with 'factorising' is 'factorise', whereas the verb associated with 'factoring' is 'factor', which could be confused with a noun.

Deano

UK

Post 3

the Shee

I'm an American... smiley - erm And I guess my subeditor was too. *shrug* Had I known that before now, I would have changed the verbs in the entry to fit with British English, but... If the Editors want to change that, it's fine by me. smiley - biggrin If that's too much work ... Eh.

Thanks for the info. smiley - smiley

UK

Post 4

I'll give Ashley a bell. smiley - smiley

UK

Post 5

Ashley

Just to check, should all the factored become factorised?

UK

Post 6

the Shee

I do believe so. smiley - biggrin From reading it over again, I think that everytime the word is used as a verb, it is in the past tense... But 'factor' by itself always seemed to be a noun. I think. smiley - winkeye

I'm sorry to be so much trouble, Ashley... Have you changing this, and changing that Bari* reed entry... smiley - blush

UK

Post 7

Ashley

Fixed! smiley - ok

And the pleasure, as always, is all mine...

UK

Post 8

Excellent. Factor (n), to factorise (vb). Thanks, Ashley! smiley - biggrinsmiley - cake

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more