A Conversation for Cascading Style Sheets

Great entry!

Post 1

Smiley Ben

A really good entry - thanks for that. I just wish more people would move to HTML4 and start using CSS more. It makes life sooooooo much easier!

A couple of niggles though:
1) The tag and style="blah" attribute are two totally different things, and it's kinda misleading to conflate them as is done in this entry. The tag is much closer to linking to a stylesheet (which basically just copies in a section just like that in the </STYLE&gtsmiley - winkeye than to the style="" attribute...

2) You shouldn't be using IDs in the way you suggest. If you have multiple instances of one style you should use classes (exactly the same except you say 'class="blah"' and .blah in the stylesheet). IDs should be for one off things, usually (but of course not always) top level divs or whatever. The reason for this is that they effectively replace , and should refer to a single element in a page, not many.

Great entry!

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I, too, am well impressed! We need more entries like this - I wish it had been around last year when I had to learn CSS for a project... smiley - geeksmiley - ok

I also wish that AOL/Netscape would swallow their pride and recognise more of Microsoft's "unofficial" extensions to the W3C standards, such as the A:HOVER style, in Netscape 6.x... That, and scrap Netscape 4.x, and we would all be leading simpler, happier lives... smiley - winkeye

Great entry!

Post 3

Nireena

Thanks, Smiley Ben! About the niggles:
1) Whoops! smiley - yikes I think there's a way to update/amend entries..
2) Yeah, I know. It's not the absolutely correct way of using them, but it works for well small sites. Prolly should amend it at some point for larger sites.. smiley - erm Probably the same time I fix the other gaff.. smiley - whistle

Thanks, Peet! I think it's just a matter of time before things start to consolidate a bit more; they're already much better than they were a short time ago. 'Til then- *twiddles thumbs resignedly*

smiley - star

Great entry!

Post 4

Smiley Ben

Erm, A:hover *is* in the w3c standard, and mozilla and mozilla-based browsers all support it. I'm very glad that AOL aren't 'swallowing' their pride and trying to adopt Microsoft's mess of a standard. At least when you write proper HTML you /know/ it won't work in Netscape 4 and below. Unfortunately with IE you have to test across about 6 different platforms (4, 5, 6 each on PC and Mac) and hope that it doesn't totally mangle your page.

Great entry!

Post 5

World Service Memoryshare team

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to change anything that needs changing, but I'm going to need some help. Can you tell me exactly, the sentences that should be changed, and what they should be changed to?

Thanks,

Anna

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more