This is the Message Centre for Serephina

Furious...

Post 41

aka Bel - A87832164

It doesn't necesssarily work, you know smiley - erm I've read books to my boys for years, but it never made them want to read books themselves smiley - sadface

Furious...

Post 42

Mu Beta

OK, the fact they don't want to read themselves isn't necessarily terminal. But I bet they've got higher literacy standards than their peers.

If they're not readers, why not teach them some (extra) English at home? smiley - winkeye

Perhaps the reason that they don't read is because they don't feel engaged. Why not copy some interesting and relevant newspaper articles for them and then you can have a quarter of an hour talking through them?

B

Furious...

Post 43

Serephina

Well josh certainly didnt get his love of and talent for maths from me ...im completely useless at it and always hated it smiley - blush I did encouage him to look at books when he was smaller though hes never really been one for a story at bedtime..too tired n tends to just pass out.As he got older n started asking what words meant when he heard them on the tv and things ive encouraged it, and we rarely read together at all now..he much prefers to do it on his own in his head. Still trying to get him away from the Ps2 long enough to finish reading pratchetts wee free men that Ged brough over for him.
I think its helped that hes had some good teachers and they seem to have a good bit of daily time devoted to liteacy.

Furious...

Post 44

Serephina

literacy even smiley - blush i need typing lessons!

missed your post there b'elana. Id have o agree that not all kids like the same things, and its much easier to engage a child in something they find intersting! have you tried asking them what sort of books they like..or insead getting them to write you a story? josh loves writing stories..

Furious...

Post 45

aka Bel - A87832164

Believe it or not, it was 'Harry Potter' that made my oldest son read his very first book, so when I find a book that's fascinating, he will actually read it,but his orthography is horrible,the literacy standards of both boys are very low, much to my dismay, cause I am a sort of 'language snob', I can't understand why my boys can't write smiley - wah

Furious...

Post 46

Serephina

smiley - hug

how old are they?

Furious...

Post 47

aka Bel - A87832164

14 and nearly 17, and I know that they'll not learn how to write properly anymore - either you learn it within the first four years of school, or you'll not learn it ever.

Furious...

Post 48

Serephina

What do they want to do when they leave school?

Furious...

Post 49

aka Bel - A87832164

hey don't know yet, I think they imagine they'll just stay at home and be lazy smiley - rofl

Furious...

Post 50

Serephina

Well theyve not got long to decide then smiley - erm

Josh reckons he wants to be a vet but hes slightly put off by all the university that would involve smiley - laugh

Furious...

Post 51

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, Chris would like to be a vet, but he'd have to have really fantastic marks, and I don't think he'll have them. They've still got years to decide, though.

Furious...

Post 52

Serephina

what age do they leave school in germany? its 16 here..

Furious...

Post 53

originalBillyBob

It doesn't work for all little ones but have you tried taking away a favourite toy or something that he enjoys - telly! - and making him earn whatever it is back by being good, showing acceptable behaviour, apologising, whatever is required by you to make this wrong right. But for it to work you have to be tough and not give in at the first tantrum, tears, paddy, wobbly etc etc etc .....

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Serephina

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more